"wooly bugger hackle" and "wooly bugger marabou"

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Trying out two new material that I ordered from Hare Line called "wooly bugger hackle" and "wooly bugger Marabou"

Not sure how I feel about them yet. It looks to be a bit long when I tie with it. It is the 6-7" package. I like the look and think it will work justfine, Im just not used to seeing my buggers like that.

Also the "wooly bugger" marabou seems a bit more puffy, and less lengthy in the fibers than what I typically tie with. I made the bodies on the brown buggers a bit larger than normal to make them look like a crayfish or sculpin.

The tails are doubled up with some crystal flash in between, also.

Any thoughts on these materials?

I typically use strung marabou in select or extra select. This is the longer fiber/strand variety.

Can't comment on materials you have, don't have them, haven't used them.

I do like schlappen for hackle on my wooly buggers.

i have never tied with "wooly bugger" specific materials. dont really see the need.

i know what kind of marabou and hackle i like to tie with, not with what somebody decided it should be.

nothing wrong with the good old strung marabou and hackle and saddles i have in stock that will last me until its time to quit tying

Try stripping one side of the feather ( if you're holding the feather with shiny side facing you with the tip up, you want to strip the left side) and tie it in by the tip of the feather, if you're not already. I haven't used hareline but I believe it's just strung saddle. I don't know if any of the bugger hackles are genetically bred or whatever but to me it seems a lot of companies just label feathers as "wooly bugger" because it isn't good enough for much else.

I agree w/ Shortrod, thus this stuff may be very similar to schlappen. I use a lot of it from Clearwater Hackle; here's a video showing the material (which may be like the material you are talking about).

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQL8hcD_UL8[/youtube]

Back