"Swimming nymph hook" fly tying applications

F

Fishidiot

The curved hooks commonly described as "swimming nymph" style (or something like this) are actually very handy. They can sometimes be tough to find in fly shops but are usually available through the stores that sell mail order and have good hook stocks.

Anyway, the main advantage of this style, in my experience, is that the curve causes the hook to ride hook upward. This effect can be seen with curved scud hooks too, but with this style of hook the effect is more pronounced. To further enhance this, I often tie a bit of lead near the bend. Anchored in this manner, the finished fly will consistently drift hook upward which greatly reduces snags when dredging the bottom. I really like this style hook for San Juan Worms, larger Walt's Worms, and similar nymphs. For the SJ Worms, the curve of the hook also enhances the shape of the fly providing a nice curve.

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 11
  • jk32.jpg
    jk32.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 6
Looks good Dave. Here's one that I have used

daiichi-1770-swimming-nymph-fly-hook

Daichi 1770 (in case the image doesn't come through)

Another try. You can tell I haven't been out here lately.

Attachments

• Daiichi 1770.png
    Daiichi 1770.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
Good tip, Dave. Tying flies that ride hook point up have really changed my style of tying drastically over the past few years. I have tied many different flies with the Clouser concept (either dumbbell eyes or bead chain eyes) for trout, SMB and carp. Probably 95% of the flies in my carp box are tied Clouser style. My experience is that you generally get a nice clean hook set in the upper lip and your hooks stay sharper a lot longer due to not being dragged along the rocks and substrate on the bottom. The swimming nymph hook is another great application for this tying concept. Thanks for the idea.

Great tip. I often use scud hooks, which are 1x or 2x short curved shanked hooks for all kinds of nymphs. Adding weight to the shank will cause the fly to ride upside down. The same thing for curved nymph hooks which are longer than scud hooks.

I usually tie nymphs without a wing case, aka "in the round". You can also try tying a wing case in the bottom of the hook, since they ride hook point up.

Back