want to fish the Lehigh/LL

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

THinking to take a fishing trip this weekend, but i've never fished either river.

Anyone care to share some info on access points for either river

Eunan

There is no such thing as easy wading on the Big L.

If you're not familiar with the lehigh I would say that the obvious access points are a good bet. That would be bowmanstown right off of rte. 248, glen onoko in Jim Thorpe, rockport access, white haven, and the Francis e. Walter dam. Also there is some access in hickory run state park. The area around rockport has been fishing good for me since early September. I've been catching some nice browns. I haven't been down there in about a week and a half but hatches were good but unpredictable. If you want some more info about the gorge, PM me, I live about 2 miles from the river. Also I would give the guys at the evening hatch a call or a visit. I'm sure they will have some good info for you.

Eunan, PM sent.
If you have any questions, PM me.
Bill

whheff wrote:
Eunan, PM sent.
If you have any questions, PM me.
Bill
What's the big secret?

Eunan, There are a few places that can be waded, but I wouldn't do it alone unless I knew that reach. Find someone who fishes the river and have them take you out.
As for the LL, you don't even need to wade most of it to be able to reach the fish, it is easily waded and mostly public access.

Lol

SBecker wrote:

The Lehigh River in the gorge is, without the slightest bit of doubt, the hardest river to wade I've ever stepped foot in.

Ever.

Anywhere.

You can't even walk along the bank on dry rocks without stumbling.

Absolutely unreal.

greenlander wrote:
SBecker wrote:

The Lehigh River in the gorge is, without the slightest bit of doubt, the hardest river to wade I've ever stepped foot in.

Ever.

Anywhere.

Absolutely unreal.

I know of only 1 spot on the whole river that I have found to be easy wading. I mean super easy, like completely even and flat. This is the spot I reserve to take older guys from the site too. Problem is the conditions have to be right with the wind, or you will never get your dry fly or nymph rig out to the fish.

Only river I've waded that's worse (much worse), is the Pit, in Northern California.

greenlander wrote:
SBecker wrote:

Ever.

Anywhere.

Absolutely unreal.

Boulder River (upper) in Montana. Rocks alternating between bowling balls and VW bugs.

Eunan, I never fished the Lehigh but the LL I enjoy a lot. It is a nice sized creek and don't get hung up about only fishing the heritage section near the fly shop.

Abrams creek in the smokies is the top of the list of most treacherous in my book. The Lehigh is a close second.

greenlander wrote:

Ever.

Anywhere.

Absolutely unreal.

+1

I tried to fish along the banks in Lehigh Tannery and slipped on the rocks. Right into the water and a few contusions to boot. It is a serious river and one that should be taken that way. The rocks are the size of bowling balls and slippery. Some great fishing, but you gotta get to 'em safely...

Back