Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: outer banks
From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
you in?

Sorry...nope...planning on hitting the brookie streams that weekend!

Posted on: 2013/5/23 8:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Don't forget that a blue marlin is essentially a several hundred pound "native"!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/23 8:03

From Gettysburg
Dang! I'd love to join you guys.

Seeing Chaz and Pcray leaning back on a king or billfish would be worth the price of admission. I'll go net my local creek for some wild brookies for bait. Yuh have to rig 'em just right so they bounce on the surface when trolled and don't twist in the water. Works better than ballyhoo.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 8:09

From Chester County
From 6" fish in a 6' wide stream to 600lb fish 60 miles out over 6,000 feet of water.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 10:29

From Bucks County
I'd be all over this but I'm going to be in Nags Head a full month earlier and Oregon Inlet is where I go out of. Two years ago we caught a limit of mahi and a 400 lb Blue Marlin. Of course I wasn't in the chair for the marlin. I'm planning on trying to get a charter for the week of July 6-13th if anyone else will be down that week.

On the other hand I will be staying directly on the beach so I can walk out my door and fish whenever I please. I'm planning on fly fishing a lot. Anyone give me a idea of good patterns for the surf or the sound for specs?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 11:51

Yeah, we'll be oceanfront as well, though south of the cape, so considerably warmer water in the surf, which likely changes up the species mix a bit. Clousers work anywhere for the piscavores, I'd imagine crab and shrimp patterns for the others. If you use a bait rig, wade out about knee deep, dig a big handful of sand, and the hard tickly things are large sand fleas. Put on hook, make sure rig doesn't allow them to dig, and catch croaker all day long.

I'd be ok with going from Oregon Inlet. And I have. But I don't have any loyalty to a marina, and if you're already down there then there's just no reason to come north. It's less than half the distance to the gulf stream from Hatteras when compared to Oregon Inlet. Even from OI, you can drive an hour, and cut off nearly an hour of boat transit time.

Just judging by reports, compared to OI, at that time of the year they seem to get a lot more wahoo out of Hatteras, and a few more dolphin and sailfish as well. Less tuna. Marlin is about the same.

Afish, probably only 10-15 miles offshore, not 60. The rest is accurate. :)

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:49

From Mount Joy, PA
I've never chartered with these folks, but I know they'd get you on some feesh on the fly!

http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/

Posted on: 2013/5/25 8:31

I watched their presentation, and chatted with Brian, at the fly fishing show in Somerset.

It's a possibility. Part of the year they're out of Beaufort, which is 4 1/2 hours away by car or car/ferry. The other part of the year they're out of Oregon Inlet, which is still over an hour, in the other direction. The outer banks is a BIG place. There's no lack of good captains anywhere. Unless we had to go that far north to accomodate someone, I'd prefer to stick to the marinas that operate out of the inlet between Hatteras and Ocracroke.

He did recommend a guy out of Hatteras if we wanted to do the inshore thing for Spanish.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 18:36

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com