going to be near Hillsgrove PA for Deer Camp...fish the Loyalsock?

S

SanMan

A few of my brother-in-laws and I go to a friends deer camp near Hillsgrove, PA every year for a few days...most of us don't hunt so it's just a fun social thing. My one brother-in-law likes to fish and mentioned to me about taking our fishing gear and doing some fishing on the Loyalsock (weather permitting) or in Mill Creek which flows right by the camp up on the mountain.

I'm not familiar with the Loyalsock or Mill Creek from a fishing standpoint and would appreciate any advice? If it's worth trying are there any particular area's near Hillsgrove to try out?

The Sock is big, stocked Trout type water. It gets a ton of fish stocked into it in the Spring. Not sure how it would fish this time of year though. Slow would be my guess, but slow beats not fishing at all.

Mill Creek is stocked too, but has much more the feel of a small, wild Trout stream. That area has had two devastating floods in the last 10 years or so, with a lot of evidence of it still present in the streams.

Word of caution on Mill...Take a good look at the topographic maps before fishing it. Once you get a little above where the camps stop it's in a mini-gorge, and it's difficult, if not impossible, to climb back up to the road in most spots. Once you get above the camps, you're kind of committed to fishing up to the next road crossing to get out.

Hoagland is also nearby. Also stocked. Still a "small" stream, but bigger than Mill, without the difficulty of access issues. Last time I was there (August) they were replacing the bridges on Hoagland from the last flood, and regrading the road. The road wasn't officially open, though it wasn't blocked off and vehicles were using it.

Thank you for the info!

Having surveyed many of the streams in the Loyalsock basin prior to the floods, the ones that are fairly close to Hillsgrove that I particularly liked were Hoagland Branch and Ogdonia Run in the public portion. A little farther upstream just above Forksville is Lick Run, which was very good. I think it was Class A. Mill Ck was nice because of its size in the stocked section, but it gets warm in summer. I can’t speak to the stretch that Swattie described. You would find some stocked and wild trout in the Sock by Worlds End, but the density would typically be very low. I would stick to the tribs.

If you really want to fish the 'Sock, fish the Lycoming County section.
Much better water, and the fish hold over better there.

Hoagland was a shell of its former self when I was up for a week in July. The floods really did a number on filling in most of the better holes.

There is a Keystone Select section on the Loyalsock about 6 miles below Hillsgrove on Pa 87 that you may want to check out. As for Mill Creek @ Hillsgrove, it was devastated during the last flood about 5 years ago. It completely changes the creek and wiped out some really nice fishing area. If you want to check it out, go up the mountain @ Hillgrove on Mill Creek road. About 3 miles up you can park in the area at the Big Hollow and Mill Creek road intersection.

There is a Keystone Select section on the Loyalsock about 6 miles below Hillsgrove on Pa 87 that you may want to check out. As for Mill Creek @ Hillsgrove, it was devastated during the last flood about 5 years ago. It completely changes the creek and wiped out some really nice fishing area. If you want to check it out, go up the mountain @ Hillgrove on Mill Creek road. About 3 miles up you can park in the area at the Big Hollow and Mill Creek road intersection.

For your own safety, don't forget your Blaze Orange. There will be people out hunting deer/bear.

thanks for the additional info gang!

If you are into brookies, just find a trickle anywhere, especially north of Hillsgrove.
In my experiences around that area, its either void of wild trout or loaded with them.

Well, i am not fishing those mentionrd streams now and most likely will not "fish the sock anymore this year! But if i was going", The old Turkey Farm, Cross bridge at Barbours, take left on dirt road. Drive to gate, walk down road to "right in front of farm building. Fish the riffle and head of pool! 2. Sandy Bottom, at parking lot go left 100 yards on trail, to trail comes to stream, fish a little downstream, go right on logging rd. maybe 700 yards to creek, fish here! 3. Lower Manor rd. drive to t in rd. take left about 25 yards, park car by pine trees, walk upstream on road maybe 800 yards or a little more. Fish head of long hole, where water is moving. 4. Mouth of Little Bear Creek, good spot! 5 Entering Hillsgrove pa, go over bridge , stop car, get out and look downstream, where the stream turns to left, the part you can not see. Fish downstream. "the part you can not see! Beware, hunters will be hunting this section. There is a road right after bridge that runs along stream and makes a left on the mountain. You will come to a gate on road.
That land has been purchased and I would think "like always" stay out! Too bad for them, a small log cabin sits at bottom of this hill, "hand made" and also Food Plots from Game Commission! Always something that ruins the day! At this area if you get in and fish downstream, A girl scout camp will be on the other side of stream. This is what I suggest. Take a wig and a girl scout badge and $20.00! If you can't get in wearing the disguise, give them $20 and say, "I want my moneys worth". Sneaky Max loves the girl scouts, Bought lot's of cookies and did some good things for the gals.
6 One other spot, ask around! Waldeisen's place. A good guy, don't park at his house. Stay clear, give the man some room! Be cool and respect this gentlemans place. Be at your best behavior! He likes the Maxima12 leaders. Fish around 300 to 500 yards below house!

And that's just a small piece of "Sock". A lifetime could be spent on this stream alone! Don't forget , A pair of socks, Big "Sock". Little "Sock". So Sock it to em!

Well, "Brother, put a sock in his mouth and shut him up". Could not resist.

Maxima12

surprised nobody mentioned Elk Creek! Maybe a dream but i do think a Elk Creek is there! Some kind of Inn, High Knob Inn, Buddy of mine shot one of those places up a long time ago. He came back from Nam, was at the Inn, some goofy guy started pointing fingers and tapping his finger on my pals chest, saying he was a baby killer and a coward! Pal, pulled out 45, shot the bottles and mirror. Went back and apologized next day and paid for damage! As far as I know, Pal never went drinking again! A rumor, well, lets say history that has been forgotten!

Seems we all got lost at one time or another in those mountains!

Maxima12

Back