fly fishing in Maine

C

country52

Has anyone ever ventured to Maine to flyfish? I've seen videos and heard from others that they have great brook trout fishing. I'm going up in late June and wanted to try out some streams while I'm there. Any help is appreciated.

I have fished Maine a lot from the time I was in the service late 60's early 70's up to last September. I have fished western Maine for big brook trout, Rangeley area. The Rapid River, Magallay River and the Kennabago River. I think late June might be too late to find the brookies in the rivers. Brett Damn owner or Rangely Sports Shop could let you know for sure.
North Eastern Maine, Washington County has the best smallmouth fishing I haver seen The St. Croix River between Maine and New Brunswick Canada is where I did the best. Every lake in Washington Co. Has smallmouth.

PM sent

I'd say before fathers days, but if it's a cool summer it can last all year. September is good but it's better late, season closes on Sept. 30 except for designated streams. West Branch Penobscot is good above Chesuncook Lake.

June is primetime imho

try the fly fishing in maine website (FFIM) for info - the magalloway up in wilsons Mills should be just fine about then.

check the water release dates before you go.

i stayed at black brook cove campsite on lake Aziscoho.

i posted a bunch of info on here before - put magalloway into the search box ;o)

upper and lower richardson lakes are good for landlocks and brookies all year.

My buddy was talking about doing this. I'd love to get in on it. He was talking about lake fishing way the heck up by Fort Kent though.

I have been fishing the Rangeley Area streams for a very long time.
I usually go the first two weeks of June.
If I can be of help ,just PM me
Tom

I used to live and work in Baxter State Park in Maine... PM me if you want some information regarding the streams/lakes in that area.

Thanks for all the help guys. We're staying on chemo lake just east of bangor. From what I understand that lake is primarily a pickerel and smallmouth lake. If there are a couple good creeks to fish for brookies at the end of June I would definitely be willing to drive a couple hours to check them out

you are about an hour away from the upper penobscot and also about an hour from the middle kennebec . 2hrs from the west and east outlets of the Kennebec.

you also have the Roach river for a wilderness fishing adventure about 90 minutes away - near moosehead lake.

all blue ribbon brookie and salmon rivers.

Nearby is the Union R. Take 179 and then follow the road past Giles Pond down to the river.

Way back when Little Tunk Pond had tons of rising brookies in it in the evening.

Nearby is the Middle Branch of the Union R. Take 179 off Rte 9 and then take the road past Giles pond to the river.

Back in the day Little Tunk Pond had plenty of rising brookies in the evening.

You aren't in the famous trout waters, but bass fishing can be good. The Lower Penobscot can be good for smallies and some local ponds have largemouth, which locals don't mind giving up.

Search for fishing in Lower Penobscot and Hancock Counties

Good luck

gfoledc wrote:
North Eastern Maine, Washington County has the best smallmouth fishing I haver seen The St. Croix River between Maine and New Brunswick Canada is where I did the best. Every lake in Washington Co. Has smallmouth.

Got my attention here! My buddy and I are heading to Washington County (specifically, Princeton, ME) the second week in June. We'll be fishing the Grand Falls Flowage (still water). He doesn't FF (yet) so we'll be doing mostly "chuckin' & crankin" which I'm cool with, but I'm bringing the long rods and a couple fists full of poppers and zonkers. I'll be rolling them out whenever possible, particularly early, early and late, late in the day. (Any specific recommendations for flies would be much appreciated)
My Pop took me up to Grand Lake Stream in the 70's for a HS gradgeashun gift and I've been itching to get back up there since.

Sorry for detouring your post; I'm just like a kid in a candy store thinking about Maine fishing.

atlantics run through Bangor, ex brother inlaw used to live in bangor. used to up and fish there.

Back