Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

codorus trophy trout

From Lancaster
Does any one fish the section between brown road and sawmill? seems like that stretch is lined by 5 feet of quicksand on each shore. looks like great water in center of stream. How the heck do you guys fish this area?

Posted on: 2/19 16:07

Re: codorus trophy trout

From SWYC
Very difficult to fish, I don't even attempt to wade that stretch anymore. I've been stuck knee deep in mud with water chest high, very scary. You're right about fish being there, especially near the log jam.

Posted on: 2/19 16:19

From SEPA
I didn't know any better, and I caught a few in that section the first time I fished the creek. Later I was told that everyone avoids it! I stayed on the bank and rolled casted to log jams, but basically kept moving looking for better water

Posted on: 2/19 16:55

From Gettysburg
That's a tough spot and I encourage folks who are going to the Codorus for the first time to be very careful there as you will really sink into that muck. It's tempting to try and wade it as tree cover makes casting difficult and fish are often visible....but I don't suggest trying it.

Posted on: 2/19 18:17

I fish it alot being only a few minutes away , but never tried that particular section. Codorus is a great fishery.

Posted on: 2/20 1:02

A couple of seasons of below-average precipitation and low flows without any major flood events have made this section even more difficult and treacherous. The stream hasn't been flushing silt like it used to, and the low clear water has really allowed the weed growth to flourish - not only in this section but all throughout the creek.

At least that weed growth provides a safe place for small fish to hide and grow. With the huge scud population in that creek, those weeds are likely stuffed with trout food too. While its not bad for the trout, it is a bear for fishing. I agree with everyone that extreme caution is needed and that the silt is dangerous.

Side note - if you ever hear anyone refer to a section of that creek as "the tank" that's the section they're talking about. Many of the regulars and old-timers use that nickname.

Posted on: 2/20 18:36

Glad to hear that the scuds have taken off. Here's hoping that the sculpin population has continued to grow as well despite its slow pace of longitudinal expansion.

Posted on: 2/20 19:34

From York
It would be rare for me to lift rocks/muck around grass and not see scuds over there.

Posted on: 2/20 19:40

I fish codorus about 80% of my trout fishing its less than 10mins for me. That section is fishable its just tricky and I never get in the water. Ive caught a few nice fish out of there but honestly I just skip it most of the time. If you wanna see what that stream has to offer come down in another mth or two. IMHO the sulpher hatch can be second to none. I almost dont wanna post that cause I dont want all you animals down there! J/k but honestly Codorus deserves the love. It will always hold a special place in my heart cause its just my get away through all of lifes up and downs.

Posted on: 2/22 15:02

Yes, the first type of love it needs is major stream bank and drainage basin erosion control as well as stormwater runoff reductions. The second type is love for the landowners.

Posted on: 2/23 21:01

When does the stream see the pressure? Over the years I have usually been there on summer or fall weekdays and weekday evenings and have rarely seen an angler and when I did I only saw a single angler.

Posted on: 2/24 8:33

It really doesnt see much pressure. Thats what makes it so nice. Peaceful and productive.

Posted on: 2/24 14:02

From Chester County
Quote:

Mike wrote:
When does the stream see the pressure? Over the years I have usually been there on summer or fall weekdays and weekday evenings and have rarely seen an angler and when I did I only saw a single angler.

Quote:

trike23 wrote:
It really doesnt see much pressure. Thats what makes it so nice. Peaceful and productive.

It all depends on one's perspective......

Some see a stream crowded with anglers and say "it's a success"

while others see the same stream and say "it's a shame"

Posted on: 2/24 14:42

Afish,
You read me wrongly this time; the lack of observed pressure was not a concern. I was just curious. It is not a stocked trout section.

As a side bar, however, now that you mentioned it, the lack of pressure means that the TT regs probably are not serving any biological fish management purpose and may even be limiting the abundance of TT through competition.

The regs may be serving a socially oriented fisheries management purpose, however, if they are helping to keep that stretch open to public fishing. With the length of that stream that has been posted over the years despite the special regs, that social argument may be a a weak one.

Posted on: 2/24 15:13

Edited by Mike on 2018/2/24 15:56:33

From Chester County
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Afish,
You read me wrongly this time; the lack of observed pressure was not a concern. I was just curious. It is not a stocked trout section.

As a side bar, however, now that you mentioned it, the lack of pressure means that the TT regs probably are not serving any biological fish management purpose and may even be limiting the abundance of TT through competition.

The regs may be serving a socially oriented fisheries management purpose, however, if they are helping to keep that stretch open to public fishing. With the length of that stream that has been posted over the years despite the special regs, that social argument may be a a weak one.

Not a criticism just a sage observation

You often look to utilize the streams and offer opportunities for the most people. I understand that completely.

Sometimes it is useful to step back and evaluate things to get a different perspective.

While it would seem, if more people fish in a certain stream, river or lake it is always a good thing. But if you ask many people why they fish, the most common answer is to relax and get away from "it all". as well as to catch fish. If you bring "it all" to the stream with big crowds, many may get turned off from fishing all together because it doesn't deliver what they desire, a peaceful and relaxing day on the water. As Yogi Berra once said, "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded!"

Take this from someone that has talked to thousands of fisherman in the shop. When someone asks me to recommend a spot fish, after the "how's the fishin'" question, the second question usually is "how crowded is it?"

While there are less people fishing (license sales are down), but more people seem to be crowded in fewer areas. If the prime objective was to deliver a quality fishing experience rather than to deliver a crowd, the number of anglers /customers will grow, because you are delivering what they really desire.

I applaud you when you encourage people to spread out and fish other places. I try to do the same thing. A good thing for all.

Posted on: 2/24 16:41

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com