Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: You Know The Creek

From Media Pa
WHAT??? Oh excuse me you have waders that are impervious to intense thorns? Where do I buy them?

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:06

Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Stone Flys on Valley equal no fish. PS Where has all this bamboo come from?

He may have been completely sincere on both counts, both the fly advice, and the vegetation advice.

You disagree with his opinions on both the fly and the vegetation.

But that's a different question. You represented it as if he was being a jerk. But it's quite possible that you and he simply have different opinions on fly choice and riparian vegetation management.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:07

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Send it back. Seriously Mo is York County being attacked with bamboo like I am seeing here in Delco and Chesco?

We have a few groves of bamboo on Muddy. Not in the FFO area though. Its actually a pretty good bank stabilization plant. Not that I encourage it but it is hearty. and it doesnt lose leaves in winter. SO there is that. (shade)

It is also very difficult to eradicate multifloral rose and other invasive pricker bushes. You can cut them back but they come back. You need to remove them by digging out the entire root system. then replant.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:17

From Parkesburg
So, let me get this straight. To make your fishing experience better you cut streamside brush and you use a chainsaw and machete? Your a wonderful stream steward.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:17

Edited by NickR on 2013/3/10 22:33:22

From Dallastown, PA
Nick,

I think Fade was using the chainsaw to cut vines hanging from trees as part of a volunteer effort sponsored by VFTU. There is value value in that because they will eventually kill mature trees near streams. Saving a mature tree is much more valuable than the planting new ones. (on the short term) And still you would have to maintain the new plantings.

I don't see any reason why trimming back brush away from the immediate stream side is damaging. Even along streams the root systems carry substantial value whether native or invasive.

Multifloral rose thrives on the woodlot edges. If you are caught in a bramble, back up and go deeper into the woods and you will likely be around it in no time. It doesn't like shade.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:27

From Parkesburg
Thanks Maurice that is all I wanted to know but it sounds like he is cutting down prickers to protect his waders and not so much vines to help the stream and trees... his words not mine. Fadeaway, last time I check pricker bushes don't bring down trees.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:31

Edited by NickR on 2013/3/10 23:02:14

From Parkesburg
""""WHAT??? Oh excuse me you have waders that are impervious to intense thorns? Where do I buy them?""""

WAIT... so your not chopping prickers and vines to help the stream out? Oh my bad, Fade. You post bull snot and people are going to call you on it.. guess you thought you were being witty?

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:50

From Philadelphia
Ahhhhhhhhhh, nice to see that you can go away for one weekend and nothing changes. Carry on boys.

Fade, why were you clearing brush? Was there a TU work weekend or did you do this on your own?

BTW Fade, I'm sure my brother VFTU member had no idea you fished downstream or he would never have suggested a stoner.

Let's get out soon.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 7:36

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2013/3/11 7:53:43
Edited by Foxgap239 on 2013/3/11 7:54:31

"saw schools of more than 100 Browns ...."

uh huh... no bears? :)

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:10

"WHAT??? Oh excuse me you have waders that are impervious to intense thorns?"

si, waders under turtleskin snake gaitors...

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:13

From Parkesburg
Schools of 100 browns, gill nets, and bllions of krayfish eggs.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:17

From collegeville, pa
I know VFTU will be planting trees (opposite of Fade) this Saturday 3/16. I met a few members a couple weeks ago and I plan to attend..I don't think this clearing brush idea was a"sponsored event" by VFTU. I can see clearing out a few things but taking a chainsaw there and clearing it is beyond ridiculous.....In fact it may be a violation....should check with DEP/CCCD before you work/alter a HQ/EV watershed.....

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:27

From Bucks County
Nick,

If you read the beginning of the thread you would have read that him and I volunteered a few hours of our morning clearing vines that attach trees.

We cleaned up some pricker bushes in one spot to get a little easier access to the stream. Like Maurice said, they will be back before spring is over.

It was just a really nice day to be outside all day.

Guys, be nice to Fade. He wields a chainsaw like a ninja, also you can see in the second pic what we were dealing with:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:27

From Dallastown, PA
Easy gentlemen...

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:29

From Bucks County
Hey GovtMule,

It wasn't a VFTU even but a Valley Forge Preserve event, we were not cutting tree's we were cutting vines that invade the trees.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:30

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Topic is Locked

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com