Yet another change to Pine Creek Regulations

Chaz

Chaz

Regs Changes

Ok so some would say that this is a good thing, I'm here to say it's a bad thing, because the Brown Trout Club will stop their stocking if this goes through.

For the record only 2 objections were sent to PFBC about the extension of the DH Area, while they received over 100 favoring the extension. I myself was neutral until I fished this section in September and found over 100 fig rising during 4 different evening in this section.

C & R All Tackle, there won't be any fish left after opening weekend if this goes through, how's that creating more fishing opportunities?
No leave the regs in place.

Chaz wrote:
Regs Changes

Ok so some would say that this is a good thing, I'm here to say it's a bad thing, because the Brown Trout Club will stop their stocking if this goes through.

For the record only 2 objections were sent to PFBC about the extension of the DH Area, while they received over 100 favoring the extension. I myself was neutral until I fished this section in September and found over 100 fig rising during 4 different evening in this section.

C & R All Tackle, there won't be any fish left after opening weekend if this goes through, how's that creating more fishing opportunities?
No leave the regs in place.

This post is thoroughly confusing. Paragraphs one and three need explanation. Why do you believe these things will happen? What is your reasoning?

chaz the brown trout club is the one who pushed it through. why stock a marginal section of water, I would rather see a special regs on upper pine than there. I said no to it.

I like the All-tackle stuff. No reason to limit or restrict a group of anglers, so long as the fish stay in the river.

That being said, I have to wonder where all those fish will go when the big water warms up?

1, All tackle will kill all the fish because most, not all bait anglers don't know how to handle the fish.
2, the brown trout club doesn't want this change, Tom F. has stated publicly he will not stock if this regs change goes through.
3, This is new as of 10.15 and not what was approved by the Commissioners at the October Meeting. Read the information.

C & R all Tackle seems to do ok on the little J?

My understanding is that this is a new proposal

The newly extended special reg section - which is currently DHALO - will now be reconsidered for (entire length downstream from Slate Run confluence) conversion to all tackle C&R.

Comments on this proposal are now being solicited (see Chaz's link).

An electrosurvey was conducted by PFBC last month which revealed very few trout in this section in the main strem channel (lots of walleyes including some big ones, and SMBs were common). Not surprisingly, the survey did witness considerable numbers of trout stacked up at one of the cold water trib mouths.
This isn't news to anyone who is familiar with Pine Creek in that area. Clearly some fish can hold over the summer at trib mouths, but the rest of the stream holds few if any trout during summertime. Give the question of DHALO vs C&R some thought...and let the PFBC know your opinion.

DaveS wrote:
C & R all Tackle seems to do ok on the little J?

Seems to be working pretty well on Spring Creek too...

C&R - you can educate bait anglers, but you can't bring back dead fish.

and these are stockies anyway right ?

geebee wrote:
and these are stockies anyway right ?

Correct.
However, in addition to the PFBC stockies, a local club puts some brown trout from a private hatchery in this section as well. These private browns are good quality fish and the presence of these private fish complicates the picture.

so.....they won't stock unless its put and take ?

i guess they value fishing for their members in terms of the numbers of dead fish.

they can stock some ATW or DHALO elsewhere right ?

maybe i'm weird but i always think that all streams should be C&R and the special regs sections should be small stretches of put and take, not the other way round.

i guess in the finality, its up to the club members to vote on what they want to do, not the president anyway.

i emailed in support - but added a CRALO was preferable.

Let's see if I have this right. Currently the DHALO section in the Slate Run area is stocked with average, run-of-the-mill PFBC trout. From what I gather the PFBC stocks lesser numbers of trout in a SR section of stream than is stocked in a typical ATW section considering the fact that harvest isn't allowed for a period of time. Since trout aren't harvested there should be minor reduction in trout numbers during the no harvest period.

In this particular section of stream the Trout Club stocks a substantial number of larger brown trout purchased from a private hatchery. This activity results in increased angling pressure in the 1.1 mile SR water and people complain about crowded angling conditions. It can be said that there is a direct relation between the substantial number of larger trout stocked by the Trout Club and the substantial number of anglers fishing in this SR water.

Enter the C & R all tackle proposal. Now we have a statement by the one who calls the stocking shots for the Trout Club allegedly making the statement that the Trout Club will no longer stock said substantial number of larger brown trout if there are no tackle restrictions.

If the primary reason for extending the length of the SR water is to alleviate the crowding and the crowding is directly related to the larger brown trout stocked by the Trout Club, cease stocking the larger browns and more than likely the crowding issue will cease, as well. If this happens is there still reason for extending the length of the SR water?

Somehow I don't think the number of anglers who fish this SR water now will fish there if it is only receives the fish stocked by PFBC.

And all of this for a nearly total artificial trout fishery. Go figure.

Only reason I go to Slate Run is for a good sandwich, not to fish. I appreciate what they are trying to do, but it is a marginal stream and will always be so.

That stretch is popular largely due to the efforts of the Slate Run Tackle shop. My honest opinion is that the PFBC should defer to their wishes regarding the regulation of that particular stretch of water due to the effort that they've put in. There are a lot of quality fish in that stretch and they hold over very well most years.

Comparing that stretch of Pine Creek to the LJR or Spring Creek is nonsensical. The LJR and Spring Creek are loaded with wild trout and most angling in Pine Creek is for stocked fish, either from the PFBC or from the shop.

That said, I'm not sure the precise regs matter as much as people seem to think. People get awfully excited.

Since when do they hold over VERY well! Most years they gather at the mouths of the tribs where the thermal refuge exists and then most are caught and kept and the rest die. I agree a few do survive but only because they manage get up into the feeder streams. The vast majority do not. Big Pine Creek is NOT A TROUT STREAM it is a great smallmouth bass fishery but no trout stream. Make it C&R and IMO we are wasting the resource. I think they should let the regs as they are. I don't keep trout but some fellas do and IMO it's better to keep and eat them then let them float down the stream belly up and dead because the water is too warm.

Pine is a great trout stream above the canyon, Have caught browns and brooks under 7" in length all wild. seems the bows are pushing both out of the pine and even the tribs now. sucks. pine was at one time one of best brookie streams in pa, could improve it it was narrowed and let the canopy cover it again. they can add millions in stone for the rails to trails why not into the stream also.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Also tear down that dam damn in Galeton.

I understand the fireworks on the 4th of July are beautiful reflecting off the lake. A sound reason not to breach the dam. Why did the fish commission allow this to happen???????????

Lets just have a regulation that we can't catch trout in any manner. This will surely benifit the trout. Why stop at the blood thirsty kill em all bait fishermen. This will also help the walleye and sm bass fishery which has declined in recent years and is the resource that needs managing on pine. I find it embarrassing that some anglers break up into little subclasses and fight and disparage each other. If the Brown trout club wants to stop doing what they are doing then stop.

the dam flows cool water, have friends that catch fish all summer there. the west branch ran warmer before they made lyman a bottom release, there was the bigger problem in the past. theres a BWO hatch that brings some nice fish to the surface. what needs to be done is a way for the fish down stream to get over the dam. the new way is to add rip rap so the water flows over rocks coming out of the old dams and fish have a way to go over.

Back