Yellowstone-midseptember

STONEMAN

STONEMAN

Doing the Yellowstone trip with Yellow Breeches Anglers-Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough, etc...Can't wait! Any thoughts, tips, advice?

Hmmmmm.......

Thoughts? I really wish I was going along.
Tips? I have never had the opportunity so not much to offer.
Advice? Have a great time and please give us a stream report complete with pictures upon your return.

Good luck & tight lines.

DC

STONE,
You'll have a blast. I was there mid Sept several years ago and conditions were perfect. Not a lot of tourists (by YNP standards). Weather was nice but included some light snow a couple days. Saw one of the densest BWO hatches I've ever fished on the Firehole; lots of small tan caddis on the upper Madison. The lower Madison around the Barns did not yet have a large number of lake run fish but there were a few big rainbows and I got a couple swinging big streamers, including a 21" fish one frosty morning at dawn. I seem to recall that hoppers/terrestrials did not produce well for me, but bring some anyway. Soda Butte was a blast - got lots of cuts there on nymphs. The Yellowstone River around Nez Perce crossing was barren of fish. Although I saw no bears, I recommend bear spray. Good luck!

Bear spray. My cousin just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Was staying around Emigrant. Saw a dozen black bear during the week and one huge grizzly towards the end of the week which made him wish he was carrying bear spray if something would have gone down. Better to be safe than sorry. He said he had a blast though. Good luck.

clean under shorts for those bear close encounters.......especially when you spray him and he just smacks his lips for the main course !!!!!

If you get some spitting snow weather you might want to hit the brown trout water.They would be hitting all day and if you aren't into streamer fishing things like skating spiders and greased unweighted muddlers stripped on surface can bring up normally shy bigger fish for some smash hits.lol
Have fun-

Thanks for the tips. Keep em coming--BTW-it's Yellow Breeches Outfitters not "Anglers" (sorry, Rowland) 950 bucks for lodging, food and beer for a week! How can you say no?

what kind of beer?

i`ve done that trip with friends 3 times, the upper slough, if i remember is about a five mile walk in ? but worth the trip, i loved the soda bute, every time we went the lamar was running low, terrestrial`s worked great on all streams ,

Second fish Idiot on the Barns and Baker holes are famous for a reason. I'd certainly spend at least a half day behind Hebgen...just sayin' try it.

This link shows you what you just might catch ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Z_G1skm6A

I was there a few years back the week after labor day and fished both Slough and Soda Butte. I did really well on size 16 black ants on top. I fished one pool on Soda Butte for 3 hours and never moved and had top action the entire time. You should have a blast.

Back