Yellow Creek in Bedford county

mayfly418

mayfly418

What is the preferred CFS for this stream. Thanks in advance.

There's no USGS gauge on it. And I have no idea what a good flow rate is there.

The nearest stream that has one is dunning creek. So I just kinda see if it's spiked up lately - or running above average flows. If it's close to normal, then yellow creek is likely OK too

I have been to Yellow when it was high, but never could I not fish it.

Whether fly fishing or spin fishing, I always have a jar of Power Bait with me to use (except in special reg areas) for occasions when streams are high and muddy. It is a good contingency plan that can pay off in situations when conditions are worse than expected when you arrive at a stream or deteriorate as the day goes on. If I have a feeling in advance that conditions could be poor, then I sometimes take corn along as well. Those two baits work even when the water is as muddy as it can be and can save the day.

Mike wrote:
Whether fly fishing or spin fishing, I always have a jar of Power Bait with me to use (except in special reg areas) for occasions when streams are high and muddy. It is a good contingency plan that can pay off in situations when conditions are worse than expected when you arrive at a stream or deteriorate as the day goes on. If I have a feeling in advance that conditions could be poor, then I sometimes take corn along as well. Those two baits work even when the water is as muddy as it can be and can save the day.

^That'll work!! :lol:

Nice troll job Mike.

In fly fishing we have these things called "streamers". They work in those conditions too.

I would rather sit in a strange bar in the middle of nowhere rather than mold powerbait onto my hook.

Can't you make the powerbait into the shape of a fly??

Who would fish a streamer when you can shape your own streamer out of Powerbait? One, long, smelly and molded piece of Powerbait. When I was out on a wild trout stream the other week I found a bobber, a hook attached to a swivel, and an unopened jar of Powerbait all in different areas as I worked up stream. Weird.

ryansheehan wrote:

Yes. But only if you add peanut butter to stiffen it up.

ryansheehan wrote:

Confession :oops:

A long time ago, when paste baits and scents were just introduced, I actually tried dipping my nymphs in scent and/or smearing paste on them to add scent! :-o :-o :-o :lol:

Attachments

• Don't Do it!.jpg
    Don't Do it!.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice troll job Mike.

In fly fishing we have these things called "streamers". They work in those conditions too.
Agreed.

We also have things called San juan Worms, large nymphs, etc.
Personally I find a large white or black streamer to be more effective than bait in those conditions.
YMMV but I'm sure on a fly fishing site in won't vary to bait :roll:

Back