Wyomissing Creek, Reading.

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

I read through a couple of the older posts about the wyomissing that flows through Museum Park and was wondering if anybody has any recent information, (fish amount, worth a trip or not, etc.), on it. I'm hoping to fish it this weekend with the nice weather, and I don't want to drive 2 1/2 hours to another creek like that. Also, is there even fish in that section through the park, or am I wasting my time? People seem to be pretty open about this creek, I don't want to spot burn anybody on here.

PM returned.

It is a good stream with plenty of wild Browns. It is Class A, Class A equivalent, and Class B throughout perhaps 75 percent of its length. Best populations are from about a half mile below RT 222/724 to the mouth and from the upper end of Mohnton to the headwaters. The population has greatly improved in West Reading from Museum Rd to the mouth. In the early 1980's there were no trout found in a survey of that stretch.

Mike wrote:

The population has greatly improved in West Reading from Museum Rd to the mouth. In the early 1980's there were no trout found in a survey of that stretch.

What changed in the environment, to cause that increase in the trout population?

Dam removal above improved water quality and possibly temps below. Eliminated were a duck density problem and excess, decomposing feed from duck feeding on the impoundment.

Mike wrote:
Dam removal above improved water quality and possibly temps below. Eliminated were a duck density problem and excess, decomposing feed from duck feeding on the impoundment.

Mike, thanks for that interesting and encouraging info.

I haven't been there in a while. Did they ever get rid of the "for Wyomissing residents only" terminology on the park signs?

That was a crock. Story is that the park, while owned by Wyomissing, was built with public funds from outside. They put signs up around the park explaining rules and so forth. Including verbiage stating the park was for Wyomissing residents only. Gotta keep the riff raff out I guess. When confronted, they basically agreed to not enforce it. But didn't take down the signage.

That was the story years ago and I don't know if anything's changed. I saw it as VERY wrong. People follow rules. If the rule is illegal, you can't just keep the rule, but say, oh, it's ok cause we don't actually prosecute rulebreakers. No no no. How many people are wrongly denied use of a park just because they actually follow the stated rule?

But Wyomissing is kinda "special" like that. I loved the town ordinance of no pickup trucks to be parked in visible locations, including driveways. Apparently they're ugly, lol. A co-worker who lives there actually has an RV and parks it right at the end of his drive to pi$$ off the neighbors. The borough sends him nasty letters but in 8 years they actually haven't done anything of substance. They can't. It's his property. He's very careful to be sure of that. And he lived there before the rule went into effect.

Pcray, when I went, there was no signs of anything like that. My dad did tell me that a friend of his at work said they did up until recently. I think the rodeo is just for Wyo residents now?

Pcray, when I went, there was no signs of anything like that.

That's good. The rule was printed on brown permanent looking signs that adorned the streamside parking areas within the park.

The rodeo always was for Wyo residents only. I don't have a problem with that, really, as Wyo pays for the fish. I mean,

1. I wish they didn't put the fish in to begin with. It's class A. They should do the derby somewhere else.

2. I'm not sure that they can "technically" exclude anyone from fishing, by law.

But as for signing up and prizes and so forth, limiting it to Wyo residents is fine by me. And I'll happily steer clear on that one day so that the kiddos can have their time.

There are always plenty of stockies left after the rodeo, and IMO, get em out of there!

Back