Wild trout streams in chester county pa

Brownie101

Brownie101

Does anyone know any wild trout streams in chester county or near chester county? I have looked on the Class A list and the natural reproduction list but i am looking for some more since there arent many on either list. Anything would help.

Brownie,
Welcome to the Paff forums. This particular forum, Stream Reports, is for past tense, actual fishing reports, rather than inquiries about where to fish. To be honest, many of our forum members are tight lipped about wild trout streams, particularly in areas such as Chester County. The PFBC Class A and NR list are your best bet. The fact that you didn't find many streams.... is because there aren't many in that part of the state. If you've really got the itch for wild trout, you might wish to look more towards center state. With that said, try the Advanced Search function at the bottom of the page and try "Chester County" and you can see reports on the fishing opportunities there. We have another forum Stream Locations, that is currently unavailable due to a tech glitch.

Sounds like a trick question. Especially from a "new member". LOL. I'm not taking the bait. Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

these are the kind of replys that give flyfishermen the bad reputation of being snooty and stuck up fishing pre-madonas!
why don't u just tell the guy a name of the stream.
I would if I knew one other than Valley Creek.
Its not like he is going to go racing down there and ruin it.
Bash me all you want I don't care.

Steve98

Thanks man, I have fished valley a few times before, it probably is the best and most well know wild brown stream in chester county.

why dont you go try fishing them and find out for yourself....

Hey Steve98, a PM is the way to go here not posting it out in the open...SEPA is not like other parts of the state....it will get overcrowded...See Valley Creek the past 5 years, youd swear it was the west branch of the delaware soemtimes....

One of the pleasures of fishing off the natural reproduction list is the effort it takes to find a good stream. It is like an adventure, sometimes good and sometimes bad. Look at the list and make a plan. Don't ask to be hand fed information because that truly takes away half the fun.

Not much in Chester County. Head west or north and there is plenty. Fortunately Chesco does have a couple good stocked fisheries as well as Valley plus we are surrounded by some counties that have excellent trout fishing. Now if you want to know a couple good chub streams all you gotta do is ask.

Using the natural repro list my experience has been more bad than good. I use the class A, B, C lists and have had better results in finding wild trout streams.

NickR wrote:
Using the natural repro list my experience has been more bad than good. I use the class A, B, C lists and have had better results in finding wild trout streams.

True, but we are talking about Chester County. It isn't exactly the trout mecca of the world. You might as well try all the streams because there aren't many to explore.

Isn't a big issue in Chester posted land? I've not fished it much, but from what I understand a lot of trouty water is posted.

If you find a stream that is posted and it looks good, simply knock on the landowner's door to ask permission to fish it. The worst they can say is no.

Generally just before sunrise or after 10pm are the best times to ask permission.

I haven't lived here that long, and I haven't had much time since I did. Every time I get out I make a big trip of it.

But I do want to start exploring Chesco's streams more. I know there's at least 1 guy on here that's given me some information and has really explored the little brookie streams in the county, and had some luck.

I use the class A, B, C lists and have had better results in finding wild trout streams.

Umm, they don't publish the B, C, and D lists. Only A, as well as wilderness trout waters. And frankly, most of my favorites throughout the state are NOT class A, many are class C or D, officially. But those classes aren't a great representation of what's happening out there. These small streams cycle so much with year classes, A one year, D the next, B the next, etc. Not ot mention longer term changes. A survey in 1976 just is not a good indication of what's going on today. Class A draws people.

"True, but we are talking about Chester County. It isn't exactly the trout mecca of the world. You might as well try all the streams because there aren't many to explore."

I think Valley is the only CLASS A stream in Chesco if my memory serves me correctly. There is much better fishing to be had in Chesco and surrounding counties especially if your looking at the Class A lists.

My advice to someone looking for wild trout streams is to look as long as you want but don't expect to find much in Chesco. I have spent a lot of time practically crawling streams in Chesco and have been fishing them for about 25 years. You can find the occasional wild brown and the occasional brookie but I have not found these small streams very capable of supporting any kind of vibrant fishery.

"Umm, they don't publish the B, C, and D lists. Only A, as well as wilderness trout waters. And frankly, most of my favorites throughout the state are NOT class A, many are class C or D, officially. But those classes aren't a great representation of what's happening out there. These small streams cycle so much with year classes, A one year, D the next, B the next, etc. Not ot mention longer term changes. A survey in 1976 just is not a good indication of what's going on today. Class A draws people."

PCRAY,

Taken directly from the PFBC website. Would you like to clarify this for me since you know everything? Lol. To the average person such as myself it appears that under "WILDERNESS TROUT STREAMS" they do publish whether a stream is CLASS A, B, C and so on.

CLINTON/CENTREBig Run, W Br 309C Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Limits: From hdwtrs dwnst to mouth
Length: 9.8 km; 6.1 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: B BT = 0.81 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1990 ST = 29.33 kg/haBurns Run 308D Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Limits: Hdwtrs dwnst to mouth
Length: 6.2 km; 3.8 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: A ST = 35.09 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1987
COLUMBIA/SULLIVANElk Run 405C Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Length: 7.9 km; 4.9 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: B BT = 1.18 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1994 ST = 21.46 kg/ha
ELKMix Run 308A Mixed Wild Brook/Brown Trout Sec 01
Limits: From hdwtrs dwnst to conf with English Draft Rn
Length: 6.0 km; 3.7 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: C BT = 8.00 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1987 ST = 5.77 kg/haVineyard Run 217A Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Limits: From hdwtrs dwnst to Spring Ck/Horton Twp Line
Length: 3.8 km; 2.5 mi. DER WQ Class: CWF
Biomass Class: A ST = 40.32 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1998
FAYETTEQuebec Run 819G Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Limits: From hdwtrs dwnst to mouth of Mill Run
Length: 4.1 km; 2.5 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: D ST = 9.00 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1980
FORESTFourmile Run 216F Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Length: 3.7 km; 2.3 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: D ST = 6.40 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1997
FRANKLINTrout Run 707B Wild Brook Trout Sec 01-03
Length: 12.2 km; 7.6 mi DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: D
Surveyed: 1997 (Sec 01) ST = 6.14 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1997 (Sec 02) ST = 8.36 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1992 (Sec 03) ST = 1.39 kg/haJEFFERSONCraft Run 217C Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Length: 4.4 km; 2.7 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: C ST = 18.47 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1995N Fk Red Bank 217C Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Ck, S Br Limits: From hdwtrs dwnst to mouth
(South Br) Length: 11.3 km; 7.0 mi. DER WQ Class: EV k
Biomass Class: D ST = 1.25 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1999
Shippen Run 217C Wild Brook Trout Sec 01
Length: 4.1 km; 2.5 mi. DER WQ Class: EV
Biomass Class: C ST = 12.16 kg/ha
Surveyed: 1995

"And frankly, most of my favorites throughout the state are NOT class A, many are class C or D, officially. But those classes aren't a great representation of what's happening out there."

And frankly, nobody is arguing that here and frankly whether a stream is CLASS A, B, OR C it is a much better representation of the number of trout that can be found in a stream compared to the natural reproduction list. I think we also have to take into account the years that the streams were surveyed as well. I have found the natural reproduction list to be useless on countless occasions.

NickR,

Yes, I'll clarify it. Yes, if a stream is on the wilderness trout stream list, you can indeed tell what class it is. However, a tiny percentage of wild trout streams are on that list.

So, if you had an actual class B list, there'd be a ton of streams on it. Only a small handful would also be found on the wilderness trout stream list.

EVERYTHING on the natural reproduction list is class A, B, C, or D. For me, anyway, it's the most useful list. That's not to say that it doesn't have any duds on it. It does. And it's not to say I don't also utilize the class A and wilderness trout stream lists. I do.

thank you all for not bashing me.

Now that I think about it a little I do agree with TROY

Finding one of these streams on your own IS one of the best adventures of fly fishing.

Although I have been trying have not really found one yet.

Maybe u guys could tell me wher ONE is just kidding LOL!

steve98

Pcray,

What you refer to as a "tiny percentage" of streams on the wilderness trout streams list adds up to approximately 103 streams. 103 streams in Pennsylvania published and designated as either Class A, B, C, D as well as Wilderness Trout Streams list is a pretty good number of streams that are published. C'mon don't make me spell it out... it's getting tiring. It's like debating whether a car is gold or yellow. Who gives a crap enough to call someone out on that?

This is the best low-class info I know of:
http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/index.php/streams-pa-bcd

A few years back I received a .pdf of class B streams by kindly emailing the request to my local PFC officer.

Back