Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wild trout streams in chester county pa

From Parkesburg
"And frankly, most of my favorites throughout the state are NOT class A, many are class C or D, officially. But those classes aren't a great representation of what's happening out there."

And frankly, nobody is arguing that here and frankly whether a stream is CLASS A, B, OR C it is a much better representation of the number of trout that can be found in a stream compared to the natural reproduction list. I think we also have to take into account the years that the streams were surveyed as well. I have found the natural reproduction list to be useless on countless occasions.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 12:40

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
NickR,

Yes, I'll clarify it. Yes, if a stream is on the wilderness trout stream list, you can indeed tell what class it is. However, a tiny percentage of wild trout streams are on that list.

So, if you had an actual class B list, there'd be a ton of streams on it. Only a small handful would also be found on the wilderness trout stream list.

EVERYTHING on the natural reproduction list is class A, B, C, or D. For me, anyway, it's the most useful list. That's not to say that it doesn't have any duds on it. It does. And it's not to say I don't also utilize the class A and wilderness trout stream lists. I do.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 13:38

From philadelphia
thank you all for not bashing me.

Now that I think about it a little I do agree with TROY

Finding one of these streams on your own IS one of the best adventures of fly fishing.

Although I have been trying have not really found one yet.

Maybe u guys could tell me wher ONE is just kidding LOL!

steve98

Posted on: 2012/8/23 18:52

From Parkesburg
Pcray,

What you refer to as a "tiny percentage" of streams on the wilderness trout streams list adds up to approximately 103 streams. 103 streams in Pennsylvania published and designated as either Class A, B, C, D as well as Wilderness Trout Streams list is a pretty good number of streams that are published. C'mon don't make me spell it out... it's getting tiring. It's like debating whether a car is gold or yellow. Who gives a crap enough to call someone out on that?

Posted on: 2012/8/23 22:26

From Lehigh Valley
This is the best low-class info I know of:
http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/index.php/streams-pa-bcd

A few years back I received a .pdf of class B streams by kindly emailing the request to my local PFC officer.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 7:56

Quote:
103 streams. 103 streams in Pennsylvania published and designated as either Class A, B, C, D as well as Wilderness Trout Streams list is a pretty good number of streams that are published.

There are over 3000 streams in PA that are class B, C, or D. 103 of them are on the wilderness stream list. I call that a tiny %.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 8:15

From Parkesburg
"There are over 3000 streams in PA that are class B, C, or D. 103 of them are on the wilderness stream list. I call that a tiny %."

Doesn't matter to me... you said that they don't publish a list of class B, C, D streams. Well they do that through the wilderness trout streams section. Though the percentage is tiny it is published and it is a list nonetheless and excuse me but 103 streams is enough to keep most anglers busy for a lifetime. The car is yellow.

Wilderness Trout Streams
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/wild98.htm

Posted on: 2012/8/24 8:25

Edited by NickR on 2012/8/24 8:45:58
Edited by NickR on 2012/8/24 8:46:53

From Parkesburg
Kabutt,

Do you use that site often and find a lot of it to be accurate? I haven't used it much.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 8:47

103 is a decent number of streams. And to be fair, every stream I've fished on the wilderness list has been worthwhile. If you're looking for a reliable list, where you can be fairly sure that those streams are worthwhile and open to the public, it is a good one to use.

But it's nowhere near complete. There are so many streams that are worthwhile that are not on this list, nor the class A list. And the thread is about Chester County, where the majority of streams fit this description. 103 still leaves many areas where you might be as much as an hour away from the nearest.

I'm not a Chester Cty expert. Too new to the area and I haven't had much time to explore since I've been here. I need to change that. But I'm comfortable in saying that VC is not the only worthwhile wild trout opportunity in the area.

P.S. I used to use that site. It's basically the natural repro list put onto a map. And the PFBC has now done that on a google maps type map which I find more user friendly.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 8:54

Posted on: 2012/8/24 8:57

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

NickR wrote:
Kabutt,

Do you use that site often and find a lot of it to be accurate? I haven't used it much.

I don't use it that often because I pretty much have PA's wild trout streams memorized, but I do find it to be accurate. I've mostly used it to find trouty waters outside of PA. It's a compilation of info one can find elsewhere, just all in one place. What the site did was take a jpeg of class B, C, and D streams the PFC published in 2010 and overlay it onto a Google Earth map. It's not great, but still may be useful.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 9:54

From chester county
Only about two thirds or less of the wild trout streams in chester county are on the NR list. Valley is by far the best and the only legit class A. The northern half of the county has the best public access to other wild trout streams but the streams are not that great and mostly hold a few small wild browns. If you know where to look you can find several decent (but not great) brookie streams that are not on the list. They don't compare to mountain brookie streams but can still be a lot of fun to fish. Unfortunately, private property is an issue on these brookie streams, but as mentioned before it can't hurt to ask permission if you think a posted stream looks "trouty".

Posted on: 2012/8/25 15:28

I'm in Chester County but in the northern tier near Berks and there are a few to be found north and west of Elverson, based on the PFBC lists of streams harboring trout-like fishies. I live very close to an exceptional value stream but the only trout that ever live in there are stocked, of which there are a few (and far between). It is a mystery to me why there are no natives.

Posted on: 2012/8/27 15:41

Exceptional value refers to cleanliness, not habitat.

Posted on: 2012/8/27 20:32

From LV
Nick, The wilderness Trout Streams list is very different from the Class b, c, & d lists. Yes they publish the Class, but the Class B list has nearly 1000 streams on it. So using the Wilderness list while helpful doesn't answer the question you're asking.

I can't answer the O.P.'s question except to say that there are loads of good trout streams in nearby Berks County. Try there.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 21:37

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com