HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: West Branch Delaware

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

Troy wrote:
I know streamers would be an option, but I want to go for the dry fly action. I also know that everything depends on the mood of the fish. I guess I just want to know I won't be wasting my time. This time of year I like to fish dries. I nymph and streamer fish a lot during the rest of the year, but I want to be able to have a chance fishing a dry. Thanks!

Well if you refuse to be flexible with what type of flies you're willing to use, then yes, you could be wasting your time. Hope for dry fly fishing but plan to be flexible if it's not happening.

Posted on: 6/25 9:44

Realistically the fish are not going to rise in dirty water this time of year. The big bugs like you get earlier in the year are not happening right now. Throw streamers near the bank.

Posted on: 6/25 9:57

OK, many decent points made in previous posts. I'll summarize with this.....

Ryan has a great point. If you aren't willing to be flexible, you greatly reduce your chances. What if you can see the fish chasing caddis that are swimming up but won't touch an adult on the surface. You go down to them or go fishless.

VC's post said that the fish won't feed on top this time of year in dirty water. I don't know a better response to that other than WRONG. Took fish on #20 sulphur emergers last year when the visibility was virtually zero and the river was filled with weed clumps and algae. I floated for 2 miles bouncing off the banks taking a nap when my buddy called and said are you seeing all of the rising fish? I didn't want to fish with the water that dirty. Found a pod of 5...caught 4 of them and they were all 19"-22" and then moved down river to a different pool where we found another pod and caught all 6 of them and 2 of the fish taped 22".

Troy,
You will learn that just about anything is possible on that river system at any given time. You could have great hatches and not a fish to be found rising. The guy 500 yards away doesn't have any bugs but is stacking up fish like cord wood.

Muddy conditions might not be best for the fish to see the bugs but that also swings things in your favor. You may need to search a little harder to find the risers but the big boys feel safe in the dirty water and will feed during the day on little stuff. In 'section A' of the river, you might see sulphurs every day at 9:30am. You move to 'section B' and the sulphurs might run from 11 - 3pm and be mixed with some caddis. 'section C' doesn't get much of a daytime sulphur hatch but has a bunch of caddis and Iso popping during the day. Then in the evening....sulphurs, stenos, olives and spinners. What you see will be determined by where you are. If you have dirty water and are searching by blind casting on the shady areas...toss them a #10 iso with a yellow soft hackle hanging 8" under it. Take a picture of what the result is.

It could suck, it could be great...you never know. The one thing I'm sure of is sitting at home won't catch fish. No matter what you get handed, try to learn and observe. You might walk up to a pool, look for 15 seconds and then move on. If you sit for 30 minutes, you all of the sudden see the far bank is lined up fish after fish sipping on sulphur cripples. Get up there and have some fun.

As for flows and releases, good luck trying to make sense out of the flow pattern. It's been pretty steady for a while, but the temps below Buckingham are starting to warm which may or may not result in an additional amount being let out. Pretty heavy rains might hit the area. The lakes are low enough that they shouldn't spill or wouldn't spill for a day or so (valley runoff needs to reach the lake). Based on predicted rainfall, they may or may not blow water out of the lake in the next 2 days. I wouldn't bet on that though.

Posted on: 6/25 10:43

From Berks County
I'm not afraid to change my tactics. If there is a chance they could be rising, that is all I need. Of course they might not rise, but at least there is a chance. This was a pretty stupid question to begin with, but I thought I would ask it anyway. It's not a cheap trip for me with the hotel, gas, and tolls. I just wanted to kind of make sure it could be worth my while going up there. I have only been up there three times and the fish that were caught were all on dries. I have never had any luck with streamers or nymphs. That is why I hope to be able to fish dries. It's easier finding the fish in such a big river, especially wading compared to floating.

Posted on: 6/25 10:49

From Berks County
Thanks everyone! Obviously, I just need to go and see what happens. I am not a dry fly snob, but I would much rather use a dry, especially there. No matter what, it will beat work. I love that area and the beer will still be cold. That alone, will make the trip worthwhile. Also, if all else fails, I will at least gain a little more knowledge of the system.

Posted on: 6/25 10:59

I can't tell you how many trips I've made that were a bust in the 80's & early 90's. Prior to internet, I'd just load up and go. I'd get what I got when I pulled in. Sometimes blown out or super low and 68 degrees.

You can nymph some of the runs just fine on foot. Toss them some iso nous, small pt or yellow soft hackles. You'll get hooked up during the day doing that. Don't be surprised to find bows in 6 inches of water.

Posted on: 6/25 11:01

From Berks County
Thanks Krayfish! I was up the weekend of the 7th and I stayed at The Capra Inn. I think I saw you, at least your dog at the Capra. I remember reading that you were going to be up there for a few days. I saw the dog at the hotel and it looked like your dog from the pictures on this site. We were the guys that were cooking burgers on a grill in the parking lot at 10:30 at night on Saturday.

Posted on: 6/25 11:07

OK. If you saw the Brit, that was me. We had a couple of blue pontoons stacked on my trailer. Stimey just sent me a text about going up Saturday. I told him that I'd just promised my nephew a trip to the Tully. Jim said he'll bring the driftboat so I can still take the little guy along. It will probably be a Friday 6pm decision as to making the trip or doing yard work and fishing locally / taking a nap. Cloud cover will help but I don't think it's forecast. If you don't want to nymph, dropper will help you pick up a few more fish.

Did you get to see the drama when the one guy walked out on Saturday? I mentioned a guides name and that was it. The guy I was sharing a room with lost his mind and walked out. Drove back to Jersey on Saturday morning. Sad yet hilarious.

Posted on: 6/25 11:17

From Berks County
I didn't see any drama. That is funny. I guess he doesn't like that guide too much. We got back around 10:15. We cooked and had a few beers and were in bed around 12:00. I was ready to hang out and have a few more beverages, but my buddy acts older than he is.

Unfortunately, we went home the next day. We fished the upper state game lands on Saturday and caught a few. On Sunday we fished the main stem at Buckingham. We fished the riffle with golden stones, but didn't get any. We only fished Sunday from 9:00 till 12:00.

I will be at the Capra again Friday night. That is definitely a great place to stay while fishing the area. It's cheap and nice and I like that it is mostly fisherman. Also, where can you get a room that gives you a discount if you are there for fishing?

Posted on: 6/25 11:43

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Quote:

Troy wrote:
Also, where can you get a room that gives you a discount if you are there for fishing?

+1.

I love the "fisherman rate" at the Capra!

Posted on: 6/25 12:53

From Chester County
The Capra is a great place to stay.

Keep checking the stream reports and the USGS site. Chances are the river will be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted on: 6/25 12:54

Radar shows storms 'training' over beaverkill and upper east. I'm smelling a blow out if the weather channel future radar is correct. Ugh.

Posted on: 6/25 16:04

From Denver
If you make the trip, let us know how you did- I'm headed up Monday and would definitely be interested in a report.

Posted on: 6/26 8:48

They must have had a real soaker in the valleys. Upper eb is highest flow ever for this date....so is lower eb. I'm sure Ray will be pissed since last time through we saw him working on eel trap and this will knock it down again. Beaverkill is cranking and I'm sure east and main look like yoohoo. West appeared to be spared but there's a pile of water heading toward the lake. Not sure if it's enough to spill but the normal inflow is 150cfs and it was over 3k. We'll see in 24 hours I guess. If it does spill, it will warm the river pretty dramatically so the lower section could get close to 70. On top of that, they could crack open a gate and then all bets are off. Just one more factor that makes fishing there tough.

Posted on: 6/26 10:53

From Berks County
It's going to be fine.

Posted on: 6/26 11:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com