West Branch Brandywine

H

herbalwizard

I don't post much, usually just when I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to.

First Question: Does anyone know who put all the small trout in? I caught over 20 fish on 5/16, but only two I would have kept if keeping. Over a half dozen were not even legal. I asked a few others fishing, but no one had an answer.

Second question: Has anyone else seen a fisher in that park? I am pretty sure I saw one that day (or it was a huge mink). It came out of the woods on the opposite bank, stopped on a rock, looked around, and went back up the hill, stopping to look back at the crest of the hill, then disappeared. About 5-6 lbs (based on dog/cat sizes), all black or a really dark brown.

This was in the wagontown rd. area.

Thanks for any info, and thanks to everyone who regularly shares on this site. I've learned a ton in the past 3 years since finally getting my first fly rod.

There have been some cougar sightings in that area from time to time

herbalwizard wrote:
I don't post much, usually just when I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to.

First Question: Does anyone know who put all the small trout in? I caught over 20 fish on 5/16, but only two I would have kept if keeping. Over a half dozen were not even legal. I asked a few others fishing, but no one had an answer.

Second question: Has anyone else seen a fisher in that park? I am pretty sure I saw one that day (or it was a huge mink). It came out of the woods on the opposite bank, stopped on a rock, looked around, and went back up the hill, stopping to look back at the crest of the hill, then disappeared. About 5-6 lbs (based on dog/cat sizes), all black or a really dark brown.

This was in the wagontown rd. area.

Thanks for any info, and thanks to everyone who regularly shares on this site. I've learned a ton in the past 3 years since finally getting my first fly rod.

It's likely the smaller trout you caught were wild fish. Birch Run is dammed up (Chambers Lake) and the release is probably cool enough to maintain summer refuge for wild trout. Many of the tribs below on the WB hold wild trout populations. Same with the EB of the B-Wine. The fish are often found in the main river during the cold or cool water seasons while they retreat back into the tribs during warm water periods. C&R those trout.

As far as seeing a fisher; their habitat is dense forests and not necessarily near water, contrary to their name.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
There have been some cougar sightings in that area from time to time

Driving large Japanese or German luxury brand SUV's? I've seen those too. Don't get in their way.

I fished there yesterday, and have also been catching an inordinate amount of small fish all season. Some of the Browns appear as though they could be stream bred, but it's unlikely the rainbows are. The "Yoga Pants" hatch was more exiting than anything else, though I took a couple on top. Saw some caddis but no Sulphers and I fished til about 7:15.

I'd love for it to be true, but no way anyone caught 20 wild fish in that part of the WB Brandywine. The tribs with wild trout are wayyyy downstream where the geology changes and provides more spring influence and better spawning habitat. The rocks in the stream near Hibernia break down into fine sand which is not likely to support reproduction. Birch Run is supposed to hold wild trout above the lake, though I explored some of that and didn't find any.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a handful of wild fish scattered throughout the west branch, but think it's more likely just a batch of small stockies or someone deciding to experiment with fingerling stocking.

The east branch does have a fair amount of wild fish seasonally in some areas, but not even close to the amount needed to catch 20 in a day, and the east branch is the better of the two branches.

I fished there yesterday, and have also been catching an inordinate amount of small fish all season. Some of the Browns appear as though they could be stream bred, but it's unlikely the rainbows are. The "Yoga Pants" hatch was more exiting than anything else, though I took a couple on top. Saw some caddis but no Sulphers and I fished til about 7:15.

Are you sure your not talking about the East Branch of the Brandywine along the jogging trail? If so the BTCC stocked a bunch of small trout this year. Many sub legal trout.

No, I was fishing in and around Hibernia Park; the West Br. is loaded with small trout and has been all season. They could have been stocked by the local club as well; I suppose. There are still some decent fish to be had but the meat hounds were killing everything they caught from what I saw. Haven't seen any unusual mammals, but I'll keep my eye open.

No known wild brown trout streams near Hibernia Park and a dam prevents upstream movement from below the Coatesville area where numerous tribs hold populations of wild Brook and/or brown trout.

I believe West Caln Sportsman Club stocks the W Branch, those fish could be from them.

Back