Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Visiting the in-laws in Lancaster

From Ephrata, PA
I taught him the dry dropper too, lest anyone think I was breaking Squatch Orthodoxy!

Posted on: 2012/11/26 16:13

From Ephrata, PA
Maybe Swattie would be interested, I hit up one of the wild streams in the northern part of Lanc yesterday afternoon (no hunting on Sundays!). Lots of redds (this is the stream where Fox got the wild bow), but I only caught 2 brookies. Glad to see the redds. No fish paired up.

It was a squatch nightmare though. Chub after chub...one of them was like, 10" long and all colored up. Nasty.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 11:39

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Didn't see your last post until now Squatch...my FIL and I stopped by there a few weeks ago and saw lots of redds too. Given the timing I assumed they were Brookie redds. My FIL got one holdover Bow, and I took the skunk, although I missed a nice Brookie in the hole below the old mill dam on the trib that comes in there.

Sorry about the Chubs...I usually don't catch a ton on that stream actually, although its neighbors are a different story!

Posted on: 2012/12/3 21:49

From Ephrata, PA
I don't usually either, so it tells me the trout are holing up already.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 22:35

From LV
It just means the chubs are holding in the water they are most comfortable with, the trout are there, try very light streams, or white WB, the trout WILL respond in kind.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 15:40

From Ephrata, PA
I have some micro buggers. I should try stripping some of them through.

Swattie, I can't believe your FIL got a bow! I would have thought they were all harvested at this point. I always wondered what the odds are that any are left. Sal's brother got one of those golden 'bows they stocked in March....caught it in October.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 9:52

From South Lebanon Township, PA
A few make it I think...and leave the evidence the following year that they do!

The one my FIL caught didn't look very good. It was a nice 12-14" range fish, but was very skinny. I'm guessing it won't make it through the Winter.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 11:14

From LV
Hope he kept the bow for dinner!

Posted on: 2012/12/8 10:26

From Couldn't Care Less
Been seeing a lot of mentions abt the Donegal & it's only 90 miles from me. Is it worth checking out one day? Wide or thin and any other info appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/10 16:25

From Ephrata, PA
Honestly, unless you're in the area, I wouldn't bother. 90 minutes a long haul to fish a mostly stocked water with a few hold overs and some wilds. Its only a 30 minute drive for me, and its border line "worth it". I know I'll get some flack for that, but living in the northern part of Lancaster Co, I can be on some "better" streams in 30 minutes. Right now its littered with those stinkin' bows. You fish Valley and the LL, both are better streams than Donegal. I drove 90 minutes to fish Valley, I'd do it again. I wouldn't do that for Donegal. If you want to drive that far to fish a Lanc. Co. stream, let me know. I'll take you to some nice brookie water in the spring/summer.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 17:09

From Couldn't Care Less
Thru it out there but figured if I'm actually preparing a trip 90 - 120 mins I can hit some other spots. I'll be doing that (brookie) in '13 and preparing my list. Hope you all have patients

Posted on: 2012/12/10 17:24

From Mount Joy, PA
Squatch is right. The Donegal isn't a "destination" stream IMO. If you're local (within 1/2 hour or so), it fits the bill to catch trout and work on skills. It's where I cut my teeth and I'll always consider it my "home stream", but I wouldn't drive any distance to fish it. I can be on the water in five minutes, so for me she's kind of like that girl that always gets called at two in the morning...

Posted on: 2012/12/12 16:17

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com