Visiting the Lehigh Valley - Where should I fish?

DanC

DanC

I am headed to Bethlehem on Thursday and will be including a fly rod into my luggage. I am planning to fish Thursday evening, most of Friday, and possibly Saturday morning, really anywhere within an ~1 hour drive. I intend to stop by the Saucon, my go to stream while in college; other than that I am looking for some recommendations of where I should go fish. Head up to Jim Thorpe? Tulpehocken Creek? Pohopoco Creek?

Appreciate any suggestions!

The Saucon has been good lately. Fish start feeding around 10 to 10:30. There are still Trico's and plenty of midges.
The Little Lehigh is also a good place to go. The fly fishing section has been good too.

LL was loaded with fish on Sunday. Slow during the day, but a great baetis hatch started around 4pm.

The Pohopoco is always fun, but not sure how well it's been fishing. Maybe ask HA or Becker.

You can also try the Monocacy, although the only fish I ever catch out of there are tiny.

Within 15-20 mins you've got a lot of streams available.
The Monocacy, Saucon, Little Lehigh, Brodhead, Buskill, Jordan... and others.
The Saucon turns on in the morning and again in the evening. A couple Sunday's ago, I managed about a dozen browns between 10-14 inches and one bow estimated 23-26in between 5 & 7pm. Shoot me a PM. I may be available Saturday morning.

Thanks guys!

I fished the Saucon today; no sign of a hatch to be found. Not entirely surprising given the high, muddy water. I took two small browns in the morning on nymphs. I got frustrated and pulled out a hopper and had a ton of success on top. Seeing as something that makes no sense was catching fish I started skating a green drake and took some bigger fish. 19 in total with 7 in that 14-16" range. Great afternoon. I may go try the Little Lehigh tomorrow unless you guys recommend something else.

SauconBrown1_zps072a5b14.jpg

SauconBrown2_zps323c73f0.jpg

Nice to see you got into some fish. I fished the Saucon on Saturday morning and managed to fool a very large bow along with some hyper browns and smaller bows.
Water levels were normal and clear. All subsurface.

Back