Utah - early May?

PhilC

PhilC

I have the option to attend a work sponsored conference in the beginning of May this year....it's in Provo
Anyone familiar with this area and know how it fishes in early May?

Fished the Middle Provo River 5/2/2011. Water was quite high that day from snow runoff - river was about 5-times normal flow. It was beautiful out there, didn't catch anything, but enjoyed it. Check out fly shop Trout Bum 2. Wish I would've found them before I fished, unfortunately found them the day after I fished. I'd give it a shot if you have the time.

Here are some pics:
P5020370_zpsf13317be.jpg

P5020359_zpsa41dbdb1.jpg

P5020363_zps339d821b.jpg

I've been lucky in that I have spent a lot of time in that part of Utah over the past five or so years.

I snuck in as much fishing as I could every time I was there.

The Middle Provo has some excellent fishing. Look on a map for Heber and Midway. It's a short drive up through Provo Canyon.

A little further (about 20-30 minutes) is the Weber River, also very good fishing. My last time there was a couple months ago, in November. I caught two 18" browns on back-to-back casts!

A friend there told me just yesterday that they are way behind on snow this year, so spring runoff may not be as bad as some years.

If looking for more specific info, drop me a note, I'll tell you what I can.

A picture from a few years ago...

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
I fished the middle Provo also hand did quite well. I fished the Weber and did not do well but the stream looks very nice. I also hear the Bear River is quite nice too. Strawberry Res. is supposed to fish very well in spring. Have fun.

Thanks guys...looks like my boss already made the call so Utah it is.
Good to hear the Provo river has some potential. I think my timing will have to be right with the run off....from what I've read it typically isn't til mid March so maybe I'll try to go early versus stay late.
Now looking into the Green River as well

Phil,

Let me know when you will be out there. My family has a place in Park City, and I am always looking for an excuse to take the family out west. A lot of good food joints and Micro brews to enjoy in Park City!
Great fishing for sure and my oldest daughters god father is a guide out there.

I have heard the Provo is sick. It's on my list.

I fished the middle Provo a couple of years ago in late March, and it was great. caught a few native browns underneath on what they called a 'bounce rig' (weight at the bottom of the rig on a loop, instead of above the fly). Also ran into a good BWO hatch in late afternoon and had a good amount of fish feeding on top. Nice water, GORGEOUS scenery!, lot of room to backcast, and great access (and...only 20-25 minutes from Park City).

I second the Trout Bum2 recommendation. I fished with a guide from that shop (believe his name was Pete), and he was excellent. Only used a guide once - now that I know where to go it's pretty straightforward ~ but it was well worth the money for my first time out in UT (and gotta admit it was kinda nice being a 'pampered client' as well)... :)

Thanks Pratt...I'll be checking out the Provo...

Anybody have advice on Green?

I'm not sure how much time you have, but the Green below Flaming Gorge is about a 4 hours drive from Provo. I'd much rather fish the Green as opposed to the Provo, but it is a good drive from Provo. The lower Provo is not far away at all, with plenty of access, but it is a road side fishery. The middle Provo, up around Heber City, is a little less busy both traffic and noise wise than the lower, but it is still a suburban type fishery. Heber City is around 30 or 40 minutes from Provo.

Back