Upper Savage River Tribs

Swattie87

Swattie87

Thinking about targeting the Upper Savage watershed for a camping/fishing long weekend in 2015. I've got a good picture of what to expect on the main stem of the Savage, but I'm looking for some general info on the high gradient tribs that come in from the west that feed the dam and upstream of there. No need to name streams in particular, or if you'd like to share that kind of info feel free to PM.

On the maps, it certainly looks like an appetizing area to target for a few days...larger water on the Savage and lots of small streams to explore, but I'm not familiar with the geology of the area, and I've been to similar looking areas where the small tribs are largely dead until the water is buffered a bit in the main receiving stream. Thanks is advance.

Most of those tribs hold brookies, don't forget about the North Branch of the Potomac.

Savage River Road goes over a few of them, the Brookie streams I've fished here are down in gorges on the west side of the lake and were easy accessible on the lower ends. Good luck

Those streams have brookies in them and a very nice area to camp/fish IMO. Just be sure to go when there has been decent rainfall though. Some of those streams can get quite low in the drier summer months.

I have very limited experience in svge tribs, but I recall that there were some sort of WBTEPish regs on some streams, also while I have never seen a copperhead, locals advised me to watch for them there.

i think 7x fishes that area - there is a LOT of water above the tailwater.

I hear good things about the guys at Beaver Creek fly store in Hagerstown, they know the waters around there i'm told.

i know nothing about the local outfitters - Savage River, but they don't update their website which is always an uh oh for me.

i try to get to that watershed every april, but it never happens - this year was low water and i hit Big Spring instead...

Every trib that flows into the upper savage or dam is completely full of fish. I've fished all of them and some see more pressure then others and that's a difference in a 5 or 50 fish day. Stay away from Crabtree and Middle fork and you'll have a good time. Most lie in the state forest and can be fished until your legs hurt. If you have any questions I live about 30 minutes from the tribs and fish then several times a month so if you have any questions pm me.

I decided to fish Dry Run once because the throwing of little sticks from the bridge convinced me it held fish. Had my fill after about 3 hours working up from the most obvious bridge.

Sorry, I just noticed this thread. The upper Savage River area has a wealth of native brook trout streams, as most people know. It sounds like a superficial response, but literally you cannot go wrong with any of th tributaries that cross under Savage River road as you make your way around the lake. As stated, the big difference maker is if you are following someone. It literally can be the difference between having a thirty fish day and a five fish day. When I travel out there, planning on hitting the Brookies, I target time periods with good flow and warmer spring or fall conditions, air temps in the 40s to 60s. A yellow body foam caddis is deadly, but anything that grabs there attention will work. The upper Savage River is an insect factor, much like penns, and I wish they would stop stocking it with bows. The water can get skinny during the summer so pay attention to the gauges and good luck!!!!

how does it fish in January ? - my mom in law has eye surgery booked in late Jan, and we are visiting to help her out so i'll get a couple of mornings or afternoons of Liberty.

cheers

Mark

Geebee, I never fished the upper tribs in January, but if you fish the deeper holes and runs with eggs and large stoneflies, on the lower River and the North Branch, you have the opportunity at some rather large surprises. Especially in the N. Branch in the form of big rainbows!!!

Thanks for the responses guys. It'll be a backpacking destination in 2015 for me.

Although not a direct comment on particular streams or watersheds... and I've said this many times before, but it's worth a repeat:
Western Maryland is a world class trout fishing destination, on par (or very close) with the best in central PA IMO. I remain surprised how many FFers from the big metro areas in northern VA or DC that drive all the way to Centre or Potter Co's to fish and they probably aren't even aware of what is out in western MD.

SHHH! LOL. Let them keep diving...

Do a quick forum search on the main board or stream reports on the wvangler site. Good guys over there, and quite a few discussions/reports on the Savage and tribs.

The upper reaches of the savage is my favorite big brookie water. Park at Westerport road n savage road. Get there early and bring spray.

whats the licensing deal with the NB of the Potomac - can i fish both sides with an annual MD licence ($62 ! - yikes..) or just the MD side ?

Md license allows you to fish either side. Us Md guys pay more for a Pa license with trout and erie stamps.

Tucker,

I believe the "excess" you pay for a non-resident PA license is the Lake Erie stamp. As a PA resident getting a MD non-resident license, I pay around the same amount you would pay for a PA non-resident plus trout stamp.

MD charges a non-resident the amount one would pay for a non-resident in the state you reside.

I've been meaning to check out the Savage River area for quite some time. Could anyone put me on some decent places to set up a tent to do a few days of fishing?

Back