Upper D - first week of august

T

timmyt

What can i expect other than the usual terrestrials that are common everywhere this time of year...?

My first time in the area so it will be more of a learning and getting used to the area type of trip (smallie and walleye fishing more than anything) but i thought i would ask if i should be prepared for any other hatches that might possibly bring the opportunity for some trout

Thx

Iso's, Sulphurs, olives, mice, psuedo's

No kidding? Sulfur and olives in the middle of summer, that'd be something!

ISOs are slate drakes correct? What are pseudos?

Thx for the info!

Winged ants and Isos

Pseudos are pseudocloens, tiny olives.

You wanna pray you do not run in to them.

I'm just happy there is a possibility of some real bug hatches, thought i would be out of luck on that bein that its the middle of summer.

We plan to camp in a central location and float day trips with the camp as our home base per se. Any suggestions on a peticular section that would be good that time of year?

Basically, because usually it take a long time to figure what the fish are on. They are super tiny and when you figure it out it is usually to late. There is a reason they are called the "Green Curse" out west. I have run into them one time on the Delaware around this time of the year. They sure are a masking hatch.

Psuedo info

West Branch will be your best bet. Others on here should chime in as they are more familiar than I. I have only fished it possibly 15 times or so.

You could also see tricos up there.

I've never done well with terrestrials up there though. The fish just don't seem to have interest in them from my experience

That time of year focus on the west branch. Usually it has the best temps. The closer you get to the dam, the colder the water will be.

The guys i am with usually do some part of the main branch, like i said trout fishing isnt their primary objective but they have caught lots of trout on spinning gear on these trips so they must be around...

Plus if u go up to the west branch then you need a NY license, etc correct?

Yes you will need a NY license if you are on the upper west. I have to be honest, it you are not familiar with this water this time of the year prepare to be humbled but embrace it and learn from it. You may do very well as I don't know your fishing skill but this time of the year the fishing is ultra technical.

I would advise a 15 foot leader tapered to 6x. You are going to find hatches of small sulphurs 18-20 but mostly size 20s. There are some bigger sulphurs around too so have some size 16s and 14s as well. The bug life is hard to guage it really depends on the pool you are in. The lower the river the more diverse the hatches normally. The closer you are to stilesville the less diverse and more sulphurs and tiny olives.

Watch riseforms and watch for the tiny olives among the sulphurs during the evening hatch. If you see a trout rise and you didn't see a bug it was probably a pseudo. There is normally a midafternoon hatch up high and an evening hatch more riverwide.

Sorry about being sort of vague but I've taken my lumps on this river and i just feel everyone should before I get specific about hatches and techniques. I am by no means an expert but I have spent a lot of time on the west branch learning and tying my own patterns to match the insects on this river. I have learned more on days that humbled me than days when it all clicks. Have fun and enjoy it it's a great classroom.

I am going for a trip this week so I may have some more info when I get back.

I go out on every trip expecting to be humbled, and usually i am!!

I hear what you are saying and i appreciate the honest assesment, i'll probably take a lot of lumps but hopefully learn something in the process. Thats all you can ask for right? I'm just happy to be getting away and to check out this awesome place i have heard so much about, anything more is a bonus!

I won't complain if you want to share up to date info when u get back either tho!

Tim,

If you are floating the main stem and catch a trout (at current temps) you might as well toss it on the grill. Even if it swims away, very good chance it will die shortly after release. I'd focus on long eddy to callicoon for warm water species. Beeber will back me up that the smallie fishing is top shelf all the way down to port jervis. If you want trout and bass, upper 3-5 miles from Hancock to Buckingham.

The west will have cold water so trout is the game. Some of the deep pools (balls eddy & the home pool) hold good walleye too but you have to drag the bottom. If you go up above the gamelands, both banks are in NY so you must buy their license. Sulphurs hatch all summer on the tailwaters. Some sections have a hatch at 10am and others have a hatch at dusk. If you can't see anything on the water but the fish are rising steady....could be "the fisherman's curse". #28-32. If that's what you see....leave and find another spot. Terrestrials aren't a huge deal like on smaller streams but they will work. Trico hatches are spotty at best in the mid section but are fishable in the lower part and in the junction. Cahills every night and iso throughout the day. Nymphing is almost always productive.

As Jason mentioned, you will need to throw 50-60' casts with a long (15-18') leader. Not for every fish but a majority of them. Expect to land a low percentage on 6x since the average 16"+ . No more free info. You need more help, PM me.

Good chance I'll be there for 3-4 days with NJ Tom at the beginning of August. You will also want to consider the Catskill jam in October. It's under the "events" section. You can get all the info you need first hand from some good guys and good fisherman.

Thx krayfish!

Afish, i don't get it? Walleye...i plan to catch them on spin gear moreso than on the fly. No better eating from the sweetwater than walleyes, we just want to get into some for dinner at night! I havent eaten fresh walleye in years!

any recommendations for a good campground in Callicoon area? Preferably something with a shower building and power at the campsites?

Back