Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Upper D - first week of august

From Dauphin PA
Tim,

If you are floating the main stem and catch a trout (at current temps) you might as well toss it on the grill. Even if it swims away, very good chance it will die shortly after release. I'd focus on long eddy to callicoon for warm water species. Beeber will back me up that the smallie fishing is top shelf all the way down to port jervis. If you want trout and bass, upper 3-5 miles from Hancock to Buckingham.

The west will have cold water so trout is the game. Some of the deep pools (balls eddy & the home pool) hold good walleye too but you have to drag the bottom. If you go up above the gamelands, both banks are in NY so you must buy their license. Sulphurs hatch all summer on the tailwaters. Some sections have a hatch at 10am and others have a hatch at dusk. If you can't see anything on the water but the fish are rising steady....could be "the fisherman's curse". #28-32. If that's what you see....leave and find another spot. Terrestrials aren't a huge deal like on smaller streams but they will work. Trico hatches are spotty at best in the mid section but are fishable in the lower part and in the junction. Cahills every night and iso throughout the day. Nymphing is almost always productive.

As Jason mentioned, you will need to throw 50-60' casts with a long (15-18') leader. Not for every fish but a majority of them. Expect to land a low percentage on 6x since the average 16"+ . No more free info. You need more help, PM me.

Good chance I'll be there for 3-4 days with NJ Tom at the beginning of August. You will also want to consider the Catskill jam in October. It's under the "events" section. You can get all the info you need first hand from some good guys and good fisherman.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 22:37

Edited by krayfish on 2013/7/18 22:55:49

From Chester County
Walleye!!?!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 5:38

Thx krayfish!

Afish, i don't get it? Walleye...i plan to catch them on spin gear moreso than on the fly. No better eating from the sweetwater than walleyes, we just want to get into some for dinner at night! I havent eaten fresh walleye in years!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 9:22

From Cato, NY
OK will do

Posted on: 2013/7/19 9:28

any recommendations for a good campground in Callicoon area? Preferably something with a shower building and power at the campsites?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 10:54

From Dauphin PA
Soaring Eagle right by Kellams Bridge (maybe 3 miles above Callicoon). It's on the PA side.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 17:07

We ended up getting a camping res. at Landers which i believe is on the NY side. They allow booze and partying though which sold me immediately :)

Its down closer to Narrowsburg a little south from where we were talkin before but we can drive north and drop in and float back down too so i am not super concerned with camping location

Posted on: 2013/7/23 7:08

From Lehighton, PA
Well it sounds like you're primarily focused on warmwater species like smallies and walleye, both of which exist in very good numbers from probably Port Jervis up to Callicoon or so. That being the case I wouldn't worry too much about "trout" flies and instead I'd focus on throwing large woolly buggers, zonkers, krayfish patterns and other streamers.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 11:37

From Cato, NY
Timmy,

Just got back from the upper D. The fishing was extremely technical. The hatches of sulphurs were strong and you better have good patterns in sizes 20 and even down to 22. The fish were sporadic some of the time. Saturday had great hatches but not many rising fish. It got better sunday and monday. We caught some really nice fish but we really had to work for them. None of them came easy.

These were some of the pickiest fish I ever fished over. I had several fish actually nose my fly to check and see if it was real or not. A few also took the fly and immediately spit it out. Long leaders and tippet are a must. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 14:00

From Dauphin PA
J,

I understand there were psuedos on the eater recently which ate easily masked by sulphurs. I finally getting back up 1st week of August. Sounds like I'll be nymphing and blind casting an isosarus. Not sure I'm all that into #22's on a 20' leader when it's a 99.99% refusal rate.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 6:24

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
Timmy,

Just got back from the upper D. The fishing was extremely technical. The hatches of sulphurs were strong and you better have good patterns in sizes 20 and even down to 22. The fish were sporadic some of the time. Saturday had great hatches but not many rising fish. It got better sunday and monday. We caught some really nice fish but we really had to work for them. None of them came easy.

These were some of the pickiest fish I ever fished over. I had several fish actually nose my fly to check and see if it was real or not. A few also took the fly and immediately spit it out. Long leaders and tippet are a must. Good luck.

That sounds like business as usual on the delaware

Posted on: 2013/7/24 8:02

From Cato, NY
Andy,

There were some pseudos but not many where we were fishing. The sulphurs were ridiculously small. I did do ok on a size 20 and i did actually tie some 22s last year and caught a fish on one. My biggest fish (20.5 inches) came on a size 16 sulphur dun during a blanket size 20/22 hatch. We did see a few bigger sulphurs and occassionally fish eating them when they came done.

These were the pickiest eaters I came across in my years of fishing down there. I did manage a few nymphing in the mornings which was fun. The hatching is still going strong and hopefully more fish work the bugs because there was a lot of 1 and done rises too which was frustrating. Now that the flow is consistent maybe the fish will stay in their lanes and feed more regular.

Good luck and you should do well nymphing. I did get one take on an Iso as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 8:04

From Dauphin PA
When they are sitting there with a conveyor belt of #22's going by, I'll serve the a #10 iso. It will be a complete ignore or a complete annihilation.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:48

From Cato, NY
Definetely a good move, I would also recommend a big sulphur as well. some nice fish were picking them off. The fish I caught hit it like an Iso

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:12

Sounds like i'll have quite the challenge on my hands if i decide to head a bit north and trout fish. I can't catch fish on 10 ft leaders in places you guys think are easy to fish half the time.

Mcjwilla, were you floating or wading? I think i'll probably smallie/walleye fish for two days and possibly head out for trout on the third day, just for the experience.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:16

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com