Upper Clarion River parking.

Cornholio

Cornholio

Does anyone know of a good place to park between Ridgeway and Johnsonburg? I was up that way yesterday and every pull off i saw had old posted signs. Also if anyone has any helpful advice i'm all ears. Thanks, steve.

Nope and that is the problem.There are two guys that bought up all the land between Ridgway and Johsonburg between and railroad track and the river and it is all posted and from what I hear they will prosecute tresspassers or at the very least harrass you do death.
The river is considered public waters so the only way to fish that area is to wade up in the river from Ridgway or down from Johsonburg and stay in the stream below the high water mark.
It you are not willing to wade in and back you are out of luck. The other alternative is to rent a canoe and float the area if there is enough water or fish the lower water below Ridway or the West and East Branch above Johsonburg. I wish it was otherwise, but that is the way it is for now.

and when they mean posted they mean posted!

Spiral wrote:
and when they mean posted they mean posted!

Rumor has it that one of the landowners near the upper end of this stretch has fired some shots towards a few fishermen. Hope you weren't one of them!

Not I, but the local fishing guide Kurt Thomas claims that he and a friend had that guy firing shots at them. I have not heard anything about it last few years.

Do you want to elaborate on that Spiral.

I will be in the area in two weeks and had planned on floating that stretch in my kayak. Need I bring protection?

What a damn idiot!! only a world class dip #censor# would consider shooting at someone in this day and age..... Anyhow, to you guys who fish it on a regular basis what is the brown trout population like? and what is the average size fish? I hate to drive an hour and a half to only catch smb and get shot at.

Well I dont fish it often, but I do know you'll get some good browns 20" my best is only 18" but I've also seen pics of a couple #10 fish, so theyre are definately some good fish. If youre coming up in two weeks, check out the EBCR DALO, it will be getting stocked and im sure a bunch of summer holdovers have been feeding good with the cold flows should catch a bunch there for sure.

i heard the same rumor. i think he has targets set up on his property and claims to target shoot. who knows. but the whole section is posted up real tight and you can't find a spot to either park or walk through that isn't within sight of a posted sign.

that's what i mean. the overabundance of posted signs is trying to prove a point i guess.

Thanks Marvin, I'll keep that in mind.

OH only thing is it will be stocked with rainbows, and there may be some browns but theyll be holdovers from years past or fingerling fish the commision put in a while back. it doesnt get stocked with adult browns. . .

Thanks Spiral, I thought that might be what you meant.
There are some holdover rainbows and brook trout in there, but the big attaction are the large wild browns which are tough to catch.

Fish are all small stay away its not worth it. I here that guys body count is at 25. :)

Back