Understanding the Yough

K

Kill3ducks1deer

So on the PFBC website, it says that the Yough gets stocked from the dam to the Casselman, that really isn't that big of a section. Do they stock more, or do other people stock the river? Or do the majority of the trout really spread out in the river? I haven't really fished the yough, would like to start to though and was just curious.

Kill3ducks1deer wrote:
So on the PFBC website, it says that the Yough gets stocked from the dam to the Casselman, that really isn't that big of a section.

Ducks,
This is the section stocked with adult trout.
From the Casselman downriver for many miles it is stocked with fingerlings.

yep, search for fingerling stocking and you will see it is a much broader stretch of water. Fish below the falls and you will see this. Tons of fingerling bows down that way.

Clubs further downstream on the warmwater parts of the river do stock with adult trout in the spring.

http://fishandboat.com/stocking/fingerling/fingerling2011.htm

that is the page i was talking about.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense, so do those sections hold good amounts of adult trout to? And if so, why don't they just do that near the dam also? seams like it would be cheaper.

Yes, the lower sections stocked with fingerlings do hold a lot of trout. However, the long area stocked with fingerlings is under different regulations and is a recovered fishery (40 years ago the Casselman was polluted and trout really didn't exist below where it enters the Yough).

The short section from the dam to the Casselman was (and still is) a very popular stocked fishery managed in the traditional manner of stocking adult fish for immediate harvest by traditional anglers. It is also popular with fly fishermen too.

Alright, thanks a lot. Also I did know about the casselmans problem before and what it did to the yough, crazy stuff

Don't try to understand it.

Bruno wrote:
Don't try to understand it.

That is correct.... Your brain will implode if you try to figure this fickle, beautiful, temperamental lady out.

greenghost............Wow , they must have had the gates open wide the day you took the pic of that rod n reel. Believe it or not one time , fishing from the raised walkway , my whole body was coated like that , the bathrooms are heated so i went in there and chipped it off. That is a tough section to figure out but it can be a blast.

Back