Tulplehockin water release

Coughlin

Coughlin

I have been watching the Tully going up and down like a yo yo. Is there a reason for yanking the stream around like that? I apologize if this has been answered before.

The operators of these dams have two windows open on their computers.

One on the program that controls the releases of water.

And the other on paflyfish.com, to read the angry responses from fishermen.

Wave pool! Wave pool!

The Corps has been directed by the DRBC to release water for salt line control in the lower Delaware due to the dry conditions. DRBC is requesting to alternate releases between Blue Marsh and Beltzville.

Gotta love it. We build dams, so we can have enough water for our use. The dams impede the natural flow of the river, which allows the influence of the sea to move up river. So we make yo-yo releases from the dams to push the salt back. In the meantime, we have a cottage industry that has been developed because of the dam releases (rafting) and we have another set of constituents that has benefited from bottom-water releases of the dam, because it creates better temperature regimes for trout. And then we have commissions and committees and groups to study the whole thing to figure out how to make everyone get along. And they don't.

Thanks one and all!

I guess I just don't see why a continuous release at moderate levels wouldn't acomplish the same thing and allow for well managed trout streams.

The outflow of the Yough is managed pretty much the same. Sal pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I have a day off work tomorrow and was planning on fishing the Tully is it even worth the hour drive at these low water levels ? Any input would be appreciated. I may just save the vacation day for later. Thanks

At 54cfs, I can't imagine the fishing would be any good. That's crazy low. Maybe I'm wrong but if it's over 30 minutes, I wouldn't go

krayfish2 wrote:
At 54cfs, I can't imagine the fishing would be any good. That's crazy low. Maybe I'm wrong but if it's over 30 minutes, I wouldn't go

I second that. 54cfs? Man that's low.

They do it to **** us FFERS off.

yep. 500cfs to 54cfs in 48 hours, 5 days after stocking. madness.

...and the Po was over 500cfs!

the fluctuations are as extreme as i have ever seen... i was at the po a couple months ago and literally had the highest and the lowest water i've seen on the creek within 4 hours time. that's gotta be hard as hell on the fish.

When you're wading in 2 feet of fast water and 30 min later the water is trickling by your toes...

its low everywhere - weird that we have the mild weather to keep fishing but no water.

10 day forecast is the same 45F - 52F . no sign of frost or snow yet.

I was told by an employee at Blue Marsh that the district engineer dictates the release, based on several factors. The lake level, the level of waters downstream, the salt line in the Delaware River, etc.

The Tully has been up and down as usual for this time of year. It at a good fishing level right now 200cfs +/- is close to ideal.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&site_no=01470960&period=&begin_date=2017-01-12&end_date=2017-01-19

In years past, I don't recall seeing drastic fluctuations like this unless there was a substantial rain event. The past 3 weeks or so have been crazy. It's currently at 400 cfs. Tomorrow it may be 150 or less, who knows (well the district engineer knows).

Well ACE tries to keep the pool level under 290 feet, and we've had a ton of rain recently and it's been about every other day. So yes there is a yo yo effect.

Back