Tulpehocken

wbranch

wbranch

I'd read on the PFBC web site that the Tully had been scheduled for it's early season stocking to take place yesterday. Can anyone verify if that stocking was accoplished or was it postponed due to the inclement weather. Thanks in advance.

According to the TCO web site the PFBC moved it back to Monday March 11th.

Ron

Ron,

Thank you for that information. It's going to be nice this weekend and I was hoping to get up there and give it a try. Well there is always Muddy Creek or if I'm very ambitiuos I'll drive up to Bellefonte.

We plan to fish the Tully this weekend. Looks like the weather is shaping up to be pretty good.

Ron

Matt,

I've caught a decent amount of fish on the Tully this winter. No need to wait for a stocking, IMO. In fact, I prefer fishing for the fall stocked fish rather than the "fresh" ones anyway.

I was just going to say, the fish are there from the fall stocking. Afish is right!

Guys,

Given our species selection for fall and spring stockings in the two sections of the DH Area, I have a question. When you were fishing the Tully this winter, especially more recently, if you fished in the Papermill area down to the Rt 222 bridge and for a few hundred yards below or above those locations, did you catch a nice mix of browns and rainbows or a large number of rainbows and only a few browns? I ask because the fall stocking in that stretch is strictly RT and the spring stockings are strictly BT.

Mike

Thanks for the info about the Fall stocking. I do remember doing well there during Feb & Mar of 2012 with #18 - #22 midge nymphs and I also saw numerous rising fish. Here is one I was able to land and quickly release.

Attachments

• Tully Rainbow.jpg
    Tully Rainbow.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4
Mike wrote:
Guys,

Given our species selection for fall and spring stockings in the two sections of the DH Area, I have a question. When you were fishing the Tully this winter, especially more recently, if you fished in the Papermill area down to the Rt 222 bridge and for a few hundred yards below or above those locations, did you catch a nice mix of browns and rainbows or a large number of rainbows and only a few browns? I ask because the fall stocking in that stretch is strictly RT and the spring stockings are strictly BT.

Mike

Mike,

I fish the Tully a lot, and I don't understand why your inquiry is limited to the stretch between the Papermill and the 222 bridge (+-) when the distance between them is only about 100 yards or so. Am I missing something?

Yes you are...variables that I wish to avoid as much as possible in getting the answer to my question. That distance is closer to 500 meters without going below the bridge or above the Cacoosing, but the distance between those points is not the important aspect of my question; it's the location.

Talking with the fishermen they are mainly catching rainbows. But the water temperature has been in the high 30s. It has been my experience on the Tully that when the water temp was in the 30s one would catch rainbows most of the time and when the water temp moved up into the 40s you would start catching more browns. At times I would wonder what happened to the browns and then when the temps improved I would start catching them and it was not related to fishing technique.

With last summer being very hot some people were concerned about survival of the browns that were stocked in the Spring. When September came around the browns were still there in very good numbers.

FCP

FCP,
Thanks. You make an excellent point about the temperature effects and species composition in the catch. I slipped up when I asked that question.
Mike

Mike,

No doubt, good point made by FCP about temps and RT. But to answer your question, nearly all RT in the area around the road to nowhere bridge / lower SR section.

I surmise you are asking the question to determine if the BT survived the summer. I know you know this, but tough August into Sept for the Tully trout (see temps below). Anecdotal reports of BT sucking wind in the summer leads me to believe many of the BT didn't make it. It seems to me that RT are more tolerant of warmer water for longer periods of time. Perhaps you are considering closing down the experiment and stocking RT exclusively.

Attachments

• tully temps.JPG
    tully temps.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 7
For what it's worth, I pulled a 13" brookie out at the 222 bridge in late July.

Back