Tulpehocken creek holdovers

Jessed

Jessed

Looking to fish tomorrow and was wondering how the Tully does with holdovers? Would it be worth it?

I have already heard of a daily September catch in the teens this year. Exceptionally wet Summerws work wonders there.

Appreciate it mike! I was thinking it was void of fish until the fall stocking!

Because of the ample rainfall coupled with very little really hot weather, this summer the Tully temps only hit the low 70's for a relatively short time. Most other summers, the temps temps can hit the mid to high 70's for weeks and months when the cool water pool at the dam depletes.

The fishing should be very good this fall for holdovers. Plus the Tully is scheduled to be restocked on 10/17 which should carry the good fishing over through the winter.

Its flowing over 400 now so you might want to check the flow before you go.

Commenting on the flow again- the tully has been high for a long time. I imagine there are lots of fish to be had regardless of the stockings. In my experience fish hold over well in the tully.

"Exceptionally wet Summerws work wonders there." - Mike

I think that is common everywhere, but Mike, I want to throw this out there and I talked to some Tully TU guys about this idea and I think it flew over their heads.

If summers that have a higher than average rainfall allow trout to survive better, why not try to replicate or reduce the extremely low flows from Blue Marsh. The Corps may have some wiggle room to allow for better releases during elevated pool situations. The two biggest factors as I see it is 1) The Corps having to get back to conservation pool elevation - how they do that is up for debate, 2) In-lake recreational facility use.

All you have to do is ask and a request from the PFBC could be all that's needed to slightly deviate on how the Corps releases the water. Now that George is retired, you might get better reception to the ideas.

If you can get some flexible management in the pool elevation and try to release water more slowly and reduce the low flows during the summer, more trout might survive. The Lehigh has responded to this scenario very well. Even though the releases are warm (above 68F), the increase in volume during the summer months has reduced thermal impacts, created more wetted habitat, increased DO and provided a better environment and allows for more trout to survive.

Just a thought. Can't hurt to ask.

its been running high all summer. Watch the flows and you should have a good time. I've had good days there (5+), and bad days as well throughout the summer. Now that the water temperature has cooled down since August it should be better.

Just discharging more water from the lake under normal summer conditions would not have the same effect. Wet summers and unusually large storm events ( rare ) at critical times during the summer help to keep the lake cooler by replacing much of the lake's water throughout or perhaps within a given stratum.

Mike,

If you reduce or limit the low flow periods in a stream/river it will benefit the fishery. Its been documented.

Give it a try. What does one have to lose?

It's not a cold water release that ACE Manages, they manage for flood control and don't want the elevation above about 290 Ft. So they release the water, usually from the top, and get the level back down to where they want it. The only real wild card is that they make releases for keeping the salt line in Philly down river. So high rainfall keeps the salt line down as opposed to releases.
We've seen on the Lehigh River how inflexible ACE is.

Not sure where you are getting your information from Chaz. As for the Lehigh, ACOE has been very willing to work with us within their constraints and has taken many recommendations we have suggested to improve the fishery. As a result I think we are seeing many more trout holdover and an increase in wild trout populations. Why? I think the big reason is we have eliminated the drastically low flows that were typical during summer months.

With regard to Blue Marsh, I know Mike and Tully TU tried some things to extend the coldwater release. Blue Marsh has a different gate system, I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I know its different from Beltzville for example.

The one thing I think should be looked at with BM is to try to eliminate the low flow periods. ACOE does have some flexibility, albeit limited. Just have to ask and see what they are willing to work with. Recently, in my opinion, ACOE has been very willing to listen and open to suggestions.

Mike has stated that during wet years it does wonders for the tailwater fishery. Which basically means, the low flow periods are eliminated. So why not try to replicate that every year, to some extent or the extent practical.

Blue Marsh lake is a relatively shallow lake with a limited amount of cold water. It runs out during the summer, of course depending on temperature/rain conditions.

Outsider - so does FEW on the Lehigh. It runs out of coldwater every summer. But the fish have responded to the elimination of the very low flows. Which is in some sense, what Mike has said in his post that the fishery responds well to wet summers. Meaning the low flows are eliminated in wet summers. BM still runs out of coldwater as it did this summer.

I can't dispute or verify if BM ran out of cold water this year, perhaps you can. I do know the high flows this summer saved the trout in the Tully, unlike last year. Thank God for the rain.

Here are some factors regarding BM and the Tully:

1) we know it is a flood control dam
2) I'm quite certain they use it to stem the salt line in the Delaware
3) The Tully and BM are the source for potable water via the Western Berks Water Authority treatment. A side note, I drew the gradient drawing and the intake wing-wall drawing prior to construction of the treatment plant
4) the Tully does not have cold water tribs (i.e. Pohopoco, Hayes, Mud Run) like the Lehigh
5) I do believe the COE considers/applies cold water release for the Tully
6) BM is a high recreation lake for boaters and swimmers

Just adding information as I know it.

The Tully is at an absurd 31 cfs. ????

Outsider,

Yes, the limitations as I see are really 2 things. Releases for flood control (basically how fast the ACOE must get to normal pool elevation - 290ft) and recreation. What are the levels (too high and too low) that in-lake recreation become affected? Can't really go below the 290 mark, so throw out the low level limit for recreational facilities. So how High can we go and how fast must ACOE get back to 290 ft?

Looks like the 31 cfs was due to maintenance work on the gate system. Nature of the beast.

LehighRegular,

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just stating information as I know it to be. I would love it if the COE would release more water during the summer. Only they can provide an answer.

If the low flow is due to a gate issue, I will be relieved.

do some searches on here for more info on releases. They have a system based on temperature of stream for when they start to release colder water, but as was said before, there ain't much so it doesn't last all summer.

Back