Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tully

From York & Starlight, PA
It always pays to spend five minutes and look at the USGS page for the stream you intend to fish. I neglected to do that today and boy was I shocked. Just a couple of days ago the gage below the dam was reading around 200 cfs. Today I left York about 6:00 a.m. and drove straight to the Paper Mill Pool. Wow, was I surprised when I saw the stream backed way up onto that creek that comes in at the paper mill. The Tully was racing by and it appeared to be at least 3', maybe 4', above the level it was just a few days ago.

I pulled over and checked the dam gage and the glow at that time was 2700 CFS! Amazingly high for a stream that in many places is no more than 60 feet wide. I floated the Delaware in early May at 2500 CFS and that is a lot of water. In the Tully it is hard to imagine unless you see it. I wasted two hours and about $10 in gas because U didn't check the flow before I left.

To get an idea of the flow the gage was at 3' when the flow was 200 cfs and the gage was at 7' when the flow was 2700 cfs. An increase of 4.0 feet.

Posted on: 6/12 21:05

Re: Tully

I spoke with the park ranger approximately 3 weeks ago about the severe flow fluctuations. He told me the COE mandate is this: Even if the pool elevation in the lake is 2" above the elevation where they want it to be, they will release water.

Posted on: 6/12 21:31

From Collegeville, PA
Berks County got up to 4 inches of rain on Sunday.

Posted on: 6/12 21:32

The NWS rain gauge at the Reading Airport recorded a little more than 2" of rain. I live about 5 miles south and I recorded about 2.5" of rain.

Posted on: 6/12 21:52

From Chester County
Flash flood in the area. Lake facilities and trails were flooded and boat launch closed.

New release below

Attach file:

jpg  Blue Marsh Lake Levels.jpg (88.67 KB)
53_5b20f8cf043f2.jpg 742X960 px

Posted on: 6/13 6:58

From Northern VA
That same line of heavy rain hit Valley and the stream gage there recorded over 4" of rain. My parents house 15 miles away got half that much. Easy to not realize sometimes that these localized storms can really mess with your fishing spots!

Posted on: 6/13 16:06

As much as I depend on the Tully to fish for trout (I don't travel well anymore), too much water is OK with me. 2 years ago we had a drought in Berks County, and the Tully was stagnant and barely flowing. Not many trout survived. Probably affected the insects as well. Last year was good for the fishes and hopefully this year will be.

Posted on: 6/13 16:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com