Tully - high flows

geebee

geebee

It looks like flows have just ticked down to 400cfs and now back to 500cfs ahead of Fridays rain event.

Since the October stocking, ive not been able see 300cfs flows that i like to fish in - has anyone been fishing these high flows with any success .

The gage is 2.1 right now, which seems okay to me.

I was thinking of fishing czech style with perdigon nymphs, do you think its worth a shot to fish the edges in these higher flows ?

Im going to guess that with the exception of valley, everything will be high and muddy on saturday...

Cheers

Mark

Beefheart and I fished it last weekend with the flows around 450/500. We caught five fish between us. Nymphs and buggers. Lots of icy guides.

I landed a little wild brown which was a nice surprise. The rest were stocked rainbows and browns. I rolled a few with a big bugger as well, but couldn't get them to commit. Fish all seemed to be along the edges in slower slack water.

Thanks Raftman, i figured that they still have to eat the margins were the best bet. Id imagine the fish are above and below the stocking areas too.

I thought i might try the flats between the island and Rebers Bridge where its wider and shallower and the current would be less heavier, as well.

Please post a report if you go, geebee. I too have been watching those gages and not committing. I thought that dip to 400 was a good sign and then saw it go up again... I have not been there since early spring!

In high water I prefer a few locations in the stocked section below the DH Area. At times it reminds me of a river under those conditions in that "bait" section.

If the 2018 flows were any indication of future 2019 flows 450/500 cfs may be the new 200/250 cfs flows. I always found the best dry fly fishing, meaning the most rising fish, when the flows were 200/250. I must of gone over half a dozen times between early May and August and rarely found more than a few fish rising sporadically. The flows were never below 300 cfs and often higher. I didn't do that well in 2017 either. I saw far fewer good emergences of caddis and less Tricos. 2015 & 2016 were fantastic years in regard to finding lots of rising fish. It was so good I was going up 2 - 3 times a week and passing on the Delaware.

(one drop of rain falls)- that'll be 3 weeks of 1000cfs. LOL

Yeah, the Tully and most every decent sized stream in these parts have been roaring for a long time > Tully flow 120 days

Hopefully the monsoons will subside and levels will finally get down to normal fishable levels this spring.

The only time its been at its average or below was when they stocked.

We stocked the Tully in that miserable rain last week. Me, my son, and a man named Watson float stocked the upper half of the DH. My son took a dive above his chest waders as did Watson. And Watson lost his glasses. Worst float stocking we ever did.

A group from the Wilson School District showed up to form a bucket brigade. I thank them for doing that in the pouring rain.

outsider wrote:
We stocked the Tully in that miserable rain last week. Me, my son, and a man named Watson float stocked the upper half of the DH. My son took a dive above his chest waders as did Watson. And Watson lost his glasses. Worst float stocking we ever did.

A group from the Wilson School District showed up to form a bucket brigade. I thank them for doing that in the pouring rain.

Wow!

Thanks to all of you that helped out.

Hopefully the flow will slow and you guys can have fun fishing.

A review of the historical data a few years ago indicated that on avg the flow has not dropped below 300 cfs until the first week of April.

outsider wrote:

Outsider, thanks for volunteering again this year. I did the upper section by myself a couple years ago, it was brutal. Do you know if the lower section was float stocked as well or was it just done with buckets?

Opie, it was float stocked from Reber's Bridge to the papermill. We don't float stock from the papermill to the covered bridge anymore. We had too many casualties, particularly at the major riffle below the 222 bridge. Fortunately there is several access points below the papermill, which makes bucket stocking efficient spreading out the fish.

Ben from TCO fly shop coordinates float stocking the lower section and I coordiate the upper section of the DH area. Ben, Lestrout, and me float stocked the lower section on Tuesday of this week. The upper half was not stocked.

Back