Tipton Run/ Bell's Gap and tributaries

D

dcoffey

Greetings,

I am beginning to plan out my 2016 “to fish” list of streams. I probably won’t start fishing these streams until water temps. and levels are appropriate since my main focus is on very small streams. I plan to start local with exploring the Little “J” watershed. My main focus is going to be Tipton Run/Bell’s Gap area and their tribs.

I do not mind a healthy hike, and actually prefer to explore as much as I can. I see that both streams have smaller feeder/tribs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’m not asking you to give up your “secret” spot, just a bit of info on where to start on these waters.

Donny

My advice is to get the maps of the public lands for the region, and/or find them online.

Then just start looking at streams on those public lands (state forests and gamelands.)

And go fish them. There is no particular place where you should start.

Hello,
Thank you for your response, but I am looking for a few more pieces of info. I have looked at the maps, which are almost all online. I was hoping that someone would have more info if they have fished these areas recently.

Donny

Bells Gap is a "larger" mountain stream with brookies above the dam. Very pretty stream and area, but I haven't explored that much of it.
I fish Tipton once or twice a year. above the dam it is almost all brookies. access is good.
Below the dam: there is browns and brookies. It's a nice sized small stream, and has some nice fish in it, but I've found it to be a pretty challenging stream most of the time. There's only about a mile and a half of SGL that if flows through below the dam before it becomes posted. Both of these streams are worth exploring.

Thank you very much for the info. I will definitely have to give both a try. I just purchased a 6' 2wt. and I am itching to give it a go.

Donny

There's a pretty big pull off to park above the dam on Tipton. I also believe there are some stockies in it, maybe hold overs from the spring. I have only ever tried it in the fall but found a few fish.

You'll find the 2 wt. 6 ft. rod a bit light for Bells Gap Run. I'd call it a medium sized stream. That being said, you can fish it with a 2 wt. but I like a rod that's got some casting distance to depend on.
Tipton Run though is small. But fish them both.

Thanks gentlemen for all the replies. Great info.

Donny

Sorry I'm a little late to the party. You can access Shaw Run via the Bells Gap Rails-to-Trails, It's a nice hike, make sure you go when the mountain laurel is blooming. There is a decent amount of water to cover in the area you described. I fish Tipton Run a couple of times a year, for me it is a pretty tough stream to fish.

I hope this helps!

Back