The Smokies

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

The talk of wild bows in the general forum got me thinking of an older thought I had of doing a camping/fishing trip in the Smokies. Problem is, I have no idea where to even start. I'm open to suggestions from everything as to where to camp, what time of year, etc.

I've done some limited research in early preperation for the same trip. Smoky Mountain National Park falls on the boarder between TN and NC. I've done more research on the NC side of the Park. There is plenty of trout fishing in the National Park. Jackson County NC has a "Fly Fishing Trail" that highlights several trout streams, that is worth a look. Gorges State Park has trout and bass fishing and offers camping too. I hope to hit all thre areas when I make the trip.

I have no interest in chasing smallies for this trip, if that helps narrow it down. Looking for the wild trout, small mountain streams, and looking to pitch tents where possible. Probably a 5 day trip; a day down to drive, 3 to fish, one to come home. I'll check out the "Fly Fishing Trail" and Gorges State Park. Thanks for the info.

I found a nice site about the Fly Fishing Trail that offers a great start. Thanks for that tip. Also, I'm interested in staying in NC as the non-resident license is considerably cheaper than TN.

The one camp ground on that site, (Moonshine I think) seemed a bit steep. $25 a night for a tent site. Looking for other options there.

If you want a backcountry trip in NC, you should consider the north shore of fontana lake. You'll have to put in some time hiking 10+ miles or take a boat trip across the lake. There is a lot of wild trout mileage on the north shore, you probably want to look at the Deep Creek, Hazel Creek and Forney Creek watersheds as your top options.

Sasquatch,
Cataloochee camp ground is a great place for a base camp for at least a couple days of your trip. Quite a few streams within hiking distance. It's the most remote and quiet of the national park campgrounds. Sits back a ten mile winding gravel road that leads you to a beautiful old valley full of history. There are elk in the area, and the cataloochee creek and little cataloochee (full of wild bows) run pretty much right through the place. Set off hiking in any direction and you realize that you are in the middle of NOWHERE (which is a good thing). I was really surprised how many fish were in the streams even right near the campground. Good luck with your plans, there are soooo many options down there. Raven fork is another area to check out. Hike way in, and you'll feel like you're 500 years back in time.

Cataloochee camp ground sound like a good place to go..squashy just no elk chasin...

This might be helpful as well...Check out this site for some pretty decent stream info. Also a nat geo park map is really helpful to see all the trails and streams at one time.

This sounds like the place! Thank you! What's the best time of year? I'm thinking May.

I was there in July and the fishing was still great. I would think in May you could probably hit some decent hatches, though I'm not familiar with any off the top of my head. It'll probably still be cool up there at that time so I'd plan for any type of weather.

Fished the smokies last thanksgiving. Lots of beautiful wild rainbows. There was a thread about it last December. I'll see if I can find it and will post.

Sas,

My wife and I went down in July for 10 days. Hiked/camped/fished multiple spots, all within the park (on the TN side). I can help ya out quite a bit in describing the various places. Got a meeting in a few, here, though, shoot me a PM and I'll respond when I get a few minutes.

Thanks man. I definitely decided on NC, and I'm almost 100% sure I'll be camping at Cataloochee. I just need to pick the dates that I'm going. Already figured out the mileage and estimate of gas costs, NC non residential FL/trout stamp, and campground costs. The links provided above were a great help. I'm very excited, and I believe my dad is in on this trip. If we can get my brother to go yet, this will be a classic Squatch Family outing.

I really appreciate all the feedback though, and please keep the tips coming. I love that this site can give me info on stuff like this, as well as PA info.

Alright, since we did almost nothing on the NC side, I guess my input really isn't applicable. But I'll give what I know anyway, in case you spend any time on the TN side.

Cosby - for the first few days we camped here, and it was our favorite campground. It's really separated from the main park entrances. You can only reach a little corner of the park from here, and it's about 20-30 minute drive to any of the other entrances which take you to more "touristy" areas. But it basically never fills up, nice and woodsy, and was the least "busy" campground. Cosby Creek was also within walking distance, and fished better than anything else I fished all week. It's a smaller creek and had a combination of wild bows and brookies.

Elkmont - I passed through but we did not stay here. It looked nice, is in a nice woodsy area and well located to give you access to virtually anywhere you want to go. Plus its on the Little River in trouty territory, I walked up and fished one day, caught a few, but the stream was beautiful and I wish I had the time to walk miles up. Mostly bows, and I did catch a nice brown. But in July, the campground was PACKED, this is definitely the most in-demand campground.

Townsend - we stayed on a private campground right against the river in town. Townsend was nice, more laid back and not so touristy like Gatlinburg. Everything you could need in town. The campground was just a little yard to throw a tent up in, good enough but not what you're looking for in a tenting experience. I did catch a few smallies and 1 stocker rainbow right at the campsite in town. In hindsight, I wish we'd have stayed at the small campground at the lower end of Abrams Creek.

Streams:

Cosby Creek - fished the best for me. Runs by the Cosby campground, smallish stream, mixed brookies and bows. You'd have 100 yard stretch with all brookies, then the next 100 yards would be all bows, and back and forth.

Little River - stocked in the town of Townsend. Smallies fading to trout at you go up. Elkmont and above is prime trout territory. It didn't fish so well the day I fished it but it looked like a nice stream and the fish were there, I caught less than 10 in 5 or 6 hrs, though.

Middle Prong - I fished the upper end, before it split into Lynn Camp and Thunderhead Prong. It fished very well, all bows. I didn't have that long to fish it, though. At the top there, where it split into prongs, there were waterfalls on both branches, and above the falls both branches were closed to fishing. They were poisoning the bows and trying to establish brookies, I think.

Roaring Fork - I just screwed around here for an hour or so, on the downward side of the Roaring Fork Motor Trail right out of Gatlinburg. In an hour, I caught double digits, so it fished well. Smallish bows. Very scenic area, but lots of tourists.

That's all I fished, as it was a family trip, not a fishing trip. I never did hit Abrams, which is the famous one, a limestoner. I hiked along it from Cade's Cove down to the falls. Saw some fish. Slower and bigger and very touristy. Probably fishes more like a limestoner, with pickier fish.

I think virtually any stream in the park is gonna have rainbows, on either side. I wanted to fish some of the higher country, but never got the chance. For instance, Road Prong was high on my list to try. But I only fished while the wife did some short hikes, and she was 5-6 months pregnant, and thought the terrain up there was too dangerous for her and the baby.

Fly Shops:

The only one I visited was Little River Outfitters in Townsend. But I was very impressed, excellent fly shop.

Here's the pics from the fishing camera. I have another set of non-fishing pics from the big camera, but don't have them on photobucket. Too many, too big, would take days to upload.

Smokies fishing pics

No, its cool dude. The TN side will be in my future at some point, I'm sure! Thanks for the pictures. I'm trying to lure my dad into this trip, that will help.

Big Creek CG is a good place to start, it's right on the creek and is near the Pigeon River.

I fished the Little Pigeon River up through Greenbriar east of Gatlinburg last summer. Caught a few but did not have enough time to explore. I did snorkel several pools, runs and pocket water tho. There were lots of rainbows from small to maybe 10" with a couple in the 12-14" range. The water was gin clear, the sun high, and the fish skittish so success was spotty. That area is the snake-iest looking place I've ever fished and I saw both a copperhead and a rattlesnake one day. Watch where you put your hands and feet all the time. I've fished Roaring Fork in the past. Lots of fish that seem to come after anything. There's a lot of drop tho. It's thick and many big rocks. You need to be careful of your footing.

I've been to the Smokies three times but all three trips were family trips so I did more hiking and touristy things than fishing. I'd like to get down there in early June to catch some of the hatches.

Sas, if you are going to fish exclusively within the park, you do not need a trout permit. Check the regs, but I am pretty sure this is true. And, either the NC or the TN license works throughout the park, no matter what state you are actually fishing in. Mid-April to Mid-May would be the time to go and the hatches will be about 3-4 weeks ahead of what you would expect to find in PA.

Fontana Lake is supposed to have Steelhead.

Back