Sullivan County creek hoppin'

Coontail77

Coontail77

Planning a day trip tomorrow Sat (4/19) to Sullivan Cty. Are there any members on here that know of any decent streams that I could backpack into? I'm anticipating a little hiking, so a walk through the woods won't deter me. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Denny

I was up there a few weekends ago. Direct tribs to the Sock fished pretty well, but some of the streams higher up on the plateau still had some decent snow and ice along their banks and were pretty cold. I imagine that most of that is gone now two weeks later. With the Loyalsock Trail and all the Red-X trails you can definitely put together a hiking/fishing trip very easily. Pretty much any stream you cross over will have fish in it.

I suggest taking Rt. 220 until you cross Loyalsock Creek. Plenty of room to park, then hike up or downstream for quite a while. It's all state game lands, so have at it!

The water should be going down a bit too, so wading should be a bit easier than it was today.

Try Double Run, you can follow it quite a ways, then check some maps and explore.

How to I locate Red-X trails? I will be sure to check in later with the details and any stream information! Thank you all.

Tight Lines!

According to the Alpine club (Red-X Trails) "These trails form alternate routes and bypasses, having both their beginning and end on the main LT."

I assume you've already downloaded all the Loyalsock State Forest Maps > PA DCNR - Loyalsock Maps

I haven't been in the area in a couple of years but last time I was there many of the Red-X trails (shortcuts) were washed away by flooding. I don't see the Red-X trails on any of the maps and in the past I've simply come across them. Most of the time after I found the stream I was looking for I just bushwacked along it but make sure you keep track of where you're at so you can get out. All the feeders eventually lead to the Sock but you might get stuck at cliffs or rock ledges and not be able to follow it all the way (more often than not).

Here's an update from the Alpine Club regarding the RX trails >
Alpine Club Trail Alerts

It looks like a lot of the RX trails have either been abandoned or renamed.

The Alpine Club sells their own version of a trail guide with maps, I'm tempted to order it but not sure how up to date it is.

Let us know what you find.

I drove over the 220-Loyalsock intersection twice this morning. Water looks a lot calmer than it was last weekend, and still not a fisherman or a car within sight of the road.

Be warned, the state police barracks is about three miles down Rt.220, and they have new shiny Kodaks and an unmarked Ford they love to nail speeders with.

Do the speed limit to the fishing holes.

Duckfoot - you are so right. Do not speed. They are out and practicing their craft close to the barracks.

I missed the original post but I'd suggest a review of the Wild Trout Waters published by PA F&B (both Class A and lesser ranked), a topo map, and a willingness to walk will serve you well in Sully Co. Double Run has brookies and is a great start. I visited Hoagland Branch last year and it was absolutely mangled by the floods - bridges and roads torn to shreds, stream scoured. Quite a sight.

Also the Loyalsock Delayed Harvest section down 87 at the Lycoming Co. line can be teeming with stocked fish this time of year.

Several people in Muncy Valley have given permission for staties to hide in their driveways and woodsheds. You'll never see them until it's too late.

Going to go up and down this creek tomorrow, I'll give you a report as soon as I can.

Hoping you had good luck and anxiously awaiting your report

Back