Suggestions on creeks

H

HighFly1

So I just got back from a two day trip to the Emporium Pa area and although I did see fish, including six dead missing heads and tails in a class a stream, I didn't land any. Proceeded to make a trip to the Neshannock DHALO area yestarday with no luck as well. Just looking for suggestions on streams within 3 hours of Pittsburgh that are new fly fisherman friendly.

May make a trip to Erie should the creeks get some rain and a trip to western new York is not out of the question but I am really interested in the native streams as well. Thanks in advance!

Missing heads and tails?

Any theories about that?

HighFly1 wrote:
So I just got back from a two day trip to the Emporium Pa area and although I did see fish, including six dead missing heads and tails in a class a stream, I didn't land any. Proceeded to make a trip to the Neshannock DHALO area yestarday with no luck as well. Just looking for suggestions on streams within 3 hours of Pittsburgh that are new fly fisherman friendly.

May make a trip to Erie should the creeks get some rain and a trip to western new York is not out of the question but I am really interested in the native streams as well. Thanks in advance!

Trout fishing is really tough right now with the lack of rain. Steelhead fishing in Erie may not be much better.

However, there's rain in the forecast for central PA. You might try some of the well known streams in central PA such as the Little Juniata after the rain. Small moutain wild trout streams also tend to fish much better when the water comes up after a rain. Don't get discouraged. It's a challenging time of year to catch trout.

Spring Creek in State College is a great stream to fish for pretty much anybody. Very easy wading, and lots of eager fish all year long. My favorite time to fish spring is in the winter.

Really wish I could get an answer as to why there were six fish no head or tails behind my camp. They way I found the fish made it look like a person had done it.

I'll have too look into the little j and spring creeks a little more.

Fishing is tough with the rain situation right now as mentioned. Dont get discouraged. Enjoy the time on the stream even if you dont catch anything. Hopefully the rain comes soon. Better fishing will follow

With the weather we had this weekend it was definitely hard not to enjoy yourself fish or no fish. It was encouraging to see fishow in some streams I didn't know were Class A until a few weeks ago.

HighFly1 wrote:
Really wish I could get an answer as to why there were six fish no head or tails behind my camp. They way I found the fish made it look like a person had done it.

This is certainly speculation, but I'll hazard a guess:

The fish were caught back in the springtime at a nearby camp. They were cleaned and put in the camp freezer (hence no heads and tails). Last week, some folks returned to the camp for get ready for deer season. They needed space in the freezer and didn't want to eat old frozen trout, so they dumped 'em in the local creek figuring that turtles, or crayfish or whatever would consume the remains.

Excellent hypothesis!

Hopefully your correct.

If the guts were removed, I would go for that answer.

Back