State College Area

IneFishent

IneFishent

I'm looking for recommendations on fishing the State College area. I have Monday off and would like to go out since the weather is gonna be nice and winter is approaching. I have been fishing Little Juniata lately and would like to try somewhere new in the area or around state college such as Spring or Penns. I have also fished Spruce on one of my trips for a bit with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions on good places to try this time of year or have off on Monday as well and want to meet up? Thanks!

Pretty hard to go wrong with spring creek - and that's where I would go right now

I was there Monday. Spawning fish are everywhere and very obvious. Please be mindful of the resource.

I'd say spring creek, there'll be BWOs hatching most days and access is easy. As a plus there won't be hunters there.
Remember to clean your waders well after fishing Srping Creek, mudsnails are present and we don't won't to spread them.

I'd go to Spring Creek, but be prudent about the mudsnails. I was there in October, those snails get in every nook and cranny of your wading boots. I was shocked at how many there were and where I was finding them. Make sure you clean your gear well.

Sounds like it will be Spring creek. Any recommendations on flies for nymphing? Weenies and little caddis maybe?

I'll be sure to clean my waders well, if I hadn't asked about fishing, I'd have never guessed the snails were invasive.

Olives hatched about 2pm on Monday.

Underwater fly choice should consider #16 pheasant tails. Loopwing emergers are a favorite of mine for a low-rider. Of course if they are taking duns, that would be a joy.

For nymphs I like size 18 pheasant tail soft hackel, Walt's Worm in 14-16, caddis larva 16-18, olive scuds in 14-16, size 18 zebra midge, and sunkin olive emerger in 18. I like a CDC olive emerger when the olives are comming off. Having a couple of streamers in varous colors may be good too. Use the advice you get here as guidance as to what to put in your box for the trip, but stop into one of the local fly shops and grab some flies based on current conditions. Good luck.

Any good flyshops nearby? I think I looked at the TCO shop and it didn't open till 10? I generally like to stop into shops to see what's working and add to my hat collection haha.

The fly shop Flyfishers Paradise also opens at 10 am.

I managed one on top with a royal wulff, first cast of the day too. The rest I got underneath on small caddis nymphs. I certainly can't complain for my first trip to Spring. BWOs started around 1 but no takers.

troutpoop wrote:
I was there Monday. Spawning fish are everywhere and very obvious. Please be mindful of the resource.

I was there this evening. There are still spawning fish everywhere.

Chaz wrote:
I'd say spring creek, there'll be BWOs hatching most days and access is easy. As a plus there won't be hunters there.
Remember to clean your waders well after fishing Srping Creek, mudsnails are present and we don't won't to spread them.

I'm curious what you mean by hunters not being there. Do you mean that fishermen who are hunters won't be on the stream because they are out hunting? Or are you implying that hunters don't hunt along Spring Creek? Last time I checked, 1200 acres of the Canyon was open to hunting and one of the joint managers is the PGC.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I've seen more hunters while fishing Spring Creek than just about anywhere else.

I've seen more hunters while fishing Spring Creek than just about anywhere else.

Me too, a lot of empty shotgun shells too.

Back