Southern WV spots

copterdoc9

copterdoc9

I just moved from New Mexico to the Princeton, WV Area for work. I am a fly fishing freak. Does anyone know anyone in the lower WV area or any good fly shops where I can pick up some gear and some tips on the local fly fishing scene. Anything would be great, thanks.

Buddy

WV DNR has an interactive stream map on web sight. Better advice could be available on WVangler forum.

Be advised that all but the most remote streams that revue e stocked fish are hit up by the truck chasers immediately. Wild trout/no stocked streams are your best bet.

The Elkhorn in Mcdowell county may be one of the best wild trout stream in the state. A tremendous population of wild bows and browns.

However

Be ready to fish in potentially unhealthy conditions. Most if not all sewers from the homes along the stream flow into the stream. If you fish, have a tetnus shot and you definitely want to clean your waders and boots with bleach. You will also meet some colorful people. I`ve fished this stream several time when I lived in WV a decade ago and done very well. Fishing the Elkhorn is known as fishing the poop.

If you want more info, you may want to look at wvangler.com website.

Back