Southern Montana

1fish

1fish

Just returned from a trip to Southern Montana. I picked my cousin up from the airport in Belgrade on May 30th and headed up the canyon towards West Yellowstone. Planned to camp and fish on the Madison in the Quake Lake area a few days, then head up to Ennis for a few days. Well those were the initial plans anyway.

Some goats and the kids
goat.jpg

Ended up getting rained on a good bit and opted for a cabin the first night and for the rest of the week, as it turned out. Fished between the lakes, for the most part, where the river was running clear. Also fished the 3 Dollar Bridge area one morning. Caught trout everywhere, but not many and nothing huge, up to 15/16 inches or so. Caught more Whitefish than anything. By Monday afternoon they started dumping a lot of water out of Hebgen and some of the tribs were dumping in some muddy water as well. Took a ride up to Ennis to get some groceries and check things out water wise. The river was muddied up somewhat, but fishable. Checked out below Ennis Lake and they were dumping a lot water out of there as well.

goat%20hole%20fish.jpg

3 Dollar Fish

3%20dollar.jpg

We figured the increase in flows wouldn’t help the fishing, so we decided to fish the Park for the rest of the week. Fished the Firehole at three different spots, catching a few at each spot, mostly 9/10 inchers. Caught a few on the Madison both inside and outside the park, largest being a 16 inch Brown. My cousin was fishing mostly dry flies, Adams and different types of Caddis patterns. I was mostly nymphing with BH Prince and big Stoneflies, also caught a few swinging a soft hackle. Did pretty well one morning fishing one of the tribs to the Hebgen outside the Park. Caught and lost a few fish in the 18 inch range.

Firehole
firehole.jpg

Hebgen Trib
hebtrib.jpg

Dropped my cousin off at the airport on Friday 6/5, then headed back up the canyon along the Gallatin. The river was muddy and blow out below the Taylor Fork, but was pretty decent and cold above. Did pretty well there on Friday afternoon/evening with BH prince. Caught a half dozen up to 16 inches. Stuck around for a few days, fishing different sections along the highway, catching a few here and there. Camped at Red Cliff CG for a couple of nights.

Gallatin
gallatin.jpg

galfish.jpg

whitefish.jpg

Headed down to the Quake Lake area again Sunday afternoon 6/7. Camped at both Beaver Creek and Cabin Creek, a couple of nights at each.The flows seemed to have settled down a bit. Spent most of my time fishing between the lakes. Many Whitefish and a few Trout caught on a Big Stonefly nymph or a BH prince dropper. Found more trout in the pocket water below Campfire Resort, but still mostly Whitefish.

btlakes.jpg

btl.jpg

Thursday afternoon 6/11 headed downstream to Ennis and camped at a FAS for 6 nights. I decided Friday to stay another week. Fishing mostly below Ennis Reservoir, caught many Rainbows and some Browns fishing the seams and pocket water. All caught on a BH Prince. No Whitefish. Really great fishing, but hard on the knees. Also fished some of the FAS in the area. All producing a few fish, but not as many as the pocket water below the dam.

bt.jpg

btorvalley.jpg

btrapfish.jpg

btdeer.jpg

2bt.jpg

Went south on Wednesday 6/17 and fished the pocket water above Quake Lake for a few Whitefish. The tribs to the Madison were clearing up pretty well by now. Went up near Westfork and camped at the Riverview CG Wednesday night and Madison River CG Thursday. Fished the river near the CG Thursday morning, catching many good size Whitefish. In the afternoon decided to check out one of the tribs. Had a great afternoon catching many nice Rainbows and Browns up to 16 inches. Probably the best fishing of the trip. All caught nymphing, but there were some fish rising to the many Caddis coming off.

stone.jpg

wftrib1.jpg

tribfish.jpg

wftrib.jpg

Headed home Friday going down 191 through the Park and then through Grand Teton NP. Nice drive. Great trip, may get a few things done around the house and head back up again in July. Maybe a little further west this time.

If you interested in seeing a better view of the pictures. This post is also posted at this site. It's a lot more idiot friendly, as far as posting pictures go.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/364712-southern-montana-trip.html

too small flies-you want to be using 4s and 6s outside the park ..any of the big standard salmon flies will work but hard to beat b---h creek,girdle bugs.

Nice trip. I fished close to you last Thursday. Ha. PMD hatch near Varney bridge on the Madison. Headed back there today. Runoff is over everywhere for those headed out , at least in MT. Fishing has been terrific the last 2 weeks. Crushed it on the Yellowstone in paradise valley yesterday.

Back