So I Need to Fish the Little J

H

hof52

I have just started fly fishing about two years ago. I come from a family of hunters and fisherman but no one who has ever fly fished. After a couple years of watching videos, using this site, and frustrating my self on the stream I have reached the point of a functioning fly fisherman. Still taking pointers though! However, I got the impression that id be crazy to not fish the little j. I am from the north hills in pittsburgh and was wondering if anyone would want to meet up when the weather breaks and fish down there. I just want to avoid going all the way down there and short my self by not knowing the river. Shoot me a pm if you are interested!
thanks
adam

I am also planning to head out there this spring. Never fished it before but have been reading about it and have a book on it. Sounds like a great stream for wild BT.

Here is a great way to get introduced to the lil j. There will be lots of fly fishers there who could show you around

The Little Juniata River Association will hold its 10th annual river bank clean-up on Saturday, March 28th. We are early this year due to the early Easter date (4/4) falling on the 1st Saturday in April (our usual day). Anyone interested in making the river a cleaner and more attractive place, can join in by emailing Bill Anderson at bjuniata@verizon.net. Individuals and Groups (scouts, church, office, etc.) are welcome

Also, Mr Landis's book Trout Streams of Pennslyvania is a great resource with maps. Also, maybe Meck's book Trout streams and their hatches has a map.

There is Allen Bright's fly shop Spruce Creek outfitters mid-River where Spruce creek enters the J.

I think a first timers good experience is parking in the Rothrock state forest lot and work the gorge area. All public access and a remote and beautiful stretch.

You don't want to fish if the gage is over 3ft in my opinion.

Good luck learning this water.

Get into Barree from the town of Alexandria to the west of Huntingdon off of 22. Look for Mountain Rd. Its a dead end with a parking lot that turns into a trail. From the time you get on Mt Rd the LJ is on your left hand side. You can head down stream from the parking lot and fish some fast water or there is a nice stretch of slow water just, just down from the parking lot that is very productive and wade-able. Head up stream from the parking lot to the train trestle and fish that area and just below the little gravel island just below the trestle. There is fast water above the RR tracks and good fishing also. I fish it often and am always amazed at the fish I bring to hand between the points I just mentioned. As somebody else stated. Check the water before you go. I have my email alert for the gauge at Spruce and LJ set for 3ft. And depending on the flow even that's dicey for a just shy of 55 year old. Carry a wading staff... It helps.

Joining the LJRA is highly recommended and in addition, the best book on the market is now Bill Anderson's TroutBoomer. You can purchase this off of his facebook page or by contacting him at the email address provided above.

I'm always looking for someone to tag along from Pittsburgh so let me know. Little J is my stream of choice these days. I have the GPS coords if you need them, for where FiveWeight is mentioning, and sometimes I go near Spruce Creek Outfitters.

I live in Upper St Clair so we can meet somewhere by Monroeville if you want to head out 22 so neither of us are backtracking.

DanL that sounds great well have to be in touch thanks everyone for the information

Yes,more at info! Thank you.

Funny. Im in pretty much the exact boat.

Im from SW PA, recently got into fly fishing, and have been researching as well.

Im looking to broaden my horizons farther east. Ive fished a lot of western PA streams and Im looking for new waters.

Once the weather breaks, Im hoping to check out the little J as well.

Cheers

Back