Smoky Mountains recommendations for this month?

TheDude

TheDude

My family and I are looking to book a cabin in the smokies for two or three nights mid-week in only about 10 days from now. I am wondering if anyone can recommend an area of the park to stay near, where we can be tucked in the mountains rather than the countryside and be within walking distance or a short drive to good mountain streams, preferably ones that have a different feel than the Central/Northcentral PA brookie streams I am used to fishing (I'm picturing high gradient, boulders, wild rainbows, just a new experience that doesn't feel like i'm in PA).

I'm wondering if there's a good general area i can be directed to. If anyone wants to take it further and recommend anything specific, like a certain cabin or an agency, go right ahead! I've never been there, and would like to get a good feel for the park and see some of the sites in the short time we will have. Fishing will only be a small part of the stay, like when my wife and two little girls are still sleeping or relaxing at the cabin, and I can just sneak out without arranging anything around it. Ideally I'd love to be fishing right outside the cabin so I can get a little in very easily.

I understand vacancies are limited with such short notice, but also figure that mid-week I'll be able to find at least something. I also understand that cabins are located outside the park boundaries.

Thanks in advance!

If this should be posted in a different section of the forum for better exposure, please let me know.

Welcome back Dude - long time no see.

I don't know much about the Smokies, but there are several folks around here who know that area well.

When I was down there earlier this summer I talked to a guy who had just stayed in these cabins. He said they were nice, and the stream (big creek) was stocked well. Up farther in the park the stream isn't stocked. There are a lot of cabin rentals available in the areas right outside the park, but be sure to check their exact location on google maps before you book, or your peaceful smoky mountain trip could be spent steps from a major road or 20 other cabins. We saw a lot of private camping areas near the highway and with as many sites/cabins as possible crammed into a small space. One option you may want to try is booking through a site like vrbo, homeaway, or airbandb. You could get a private cabin that would probably more secluded and more home-like without paying much more at all.

I will leave the cabin recommendations to someone else, but as for the fishing- the water is very low in most GSMP streams right now. Your two best bets are Abrams Creek (heavy limestone influence with the wild rainbows you seek) and the East Prong of the Little River. If you need additional info, feel free to send a PM. I've been going down to Eastern TN and Western NC fairly regularly for the last 20 years so I know the fishing quite well.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Klingy, I will look into those companies today. Wild Trouter, I might be getting in touch with you for further advice. Thanks again!

@theDude...

I am a contributing member at the following forum: http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/index.php

You will find a TON of helpful information there to ensure you have an excellent trip. For fly shops, I like the Smoky Mountain Angler at http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/index.php and Little River Outfitters at http://www.littleriveroutfitters.com. Both outfits are extremely personable and informative as to fishing opportunities/conditions in the area of your stay. There are some more streams I can direct you too, but would prefer to do that privately.

Thanks so much for the additional information.

This won't be much of a fishing trip. I'm just hoping to stay somewhere very close to some good wild trout fishing so I can sneak when my wife and the girls are content or asleep in the cabin, without us arranging our day around it.

Now that you mention it though, I am picturing a future fishing trip down there. I have found reasonable rates for lodging, and with it not requiring airfare like a western trip, this might be a good idea for a budget fishing trip for those who like mountain streams. That's when I'd use this information supplied here about helpful fly shops and private recommendations. Thanks especially for that offer. I'm not a spot burner and can appreciate the effort put into finding productive little streams, so the gesture is much appreciated.

Back