Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Slate Run/Pine Creek-Lycoming Co

From New Wilmington (Lawrence Co)
Hello, I'm new to this board...me and a buddy are heading out for a few days to check out Slate Run and Pine Creek for the first time. I'm pretty excited to fish this area, as I've heard many good things. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, access points, other creeks in the area to check out, etc. We will be staying in Little Pine state park, and don't mind driving and hour or further for good fishing. Any info is much appreciated!

Posted on: 8/20 20:31

Re: Slate Run/Pine Creek-Lycoming Co
From Gettysburg
It's a beautiful area - you'll have a blast. Go check out the Grand Canyon of PA while you're up there.

Be aware that Pine Creek in that area is usually too warm for trout fishing this time of year... however, this year has been much cooler and wetter than normal. Nevertheless, expect warm temps and throw poppers for bass (that section is loaded with smallies, mostly small - but they're fun).

The small wild trout streams that are numerous in that area should fish very well. The actual stream named Slate Run should also be good, although that stream tends to fish much better after a good rainfall in my experience. If it's low and clear, I usually go elsewhere as I don't know the secret code for that stream under low and clear conditions.

If it were me, I'd focus on the small, wild trout streams.

Posted on: 8/20 21:12

From Tyrone
Stop and see Sandfly at Big Meadow Fly Shop on Rt 6 west of Wellboro. He will give you good info for the area.

Posted on: 8/20 21:52

From Mill Hall
I have never fished any stream other than little pine up that way. Last weekend the fish on little pine would only take black buggers.

Big Pine I know gets too warm by Waterville, however I have heard it is good for smallmouth, although I have never tried it yet(planning on it this weekend).

From what I saw there are quite a few access points to big pine just parked along the road, don't quote me on it though since I never personally fished it and don't really pay attention to those things unless I'm going fishing.

Posted on: 8/21 9:47

Thanks guys. Slate Run and Cedar Run are 2 we plan on checking out. We'll probably stay away from Pine Creek if the temps are looking too high, and we're not really interested in fishing for smallies. Would Kettle Creek be worth checking out?

Posted on: 8/21 9:58

From South Lebanon Township, PA
If you're looking for Trout, as FI alluded to, you'll mainly want to stick to the tribs of Pine and Kettle. There are many of them and they're all generally pretty good. Slate and Cedar get the most press, but there are many others of the same caliber. The main stem of Kettle from Ole Bull SP upstream may be ok too.

FI - I think the key to unlocking those trib streams like Slate is simply a rain event. Tough fishing period in low/clear water on those streams. The Browns disappear and the Brookies are ultra spooky.

FWIW, I'd recommend not overlooking the Bass fishing on Pine. The past few years I've done a trip up to that area in September and went in with the following loose plan of attack...If flows are up, fish the tribs for Trout, if flows are low, fish Pine for Bass. This way you're targetting each species in conditions that are best to catch them. The past two years flows were down so we mainly fished for Bass and did quite well.

Posted on: 8/21 11:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
lot of nice trout here in pine, water temps are cool right now above the canyon

Posted on: 8/22 5:44

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
I'm thinking about taking the wife & dog up to Little Pine State park over Labor Day. Would love to hear what the park is like if anyone knows.

Posted on: 8/22 11:27

will be crowded with people along with the slate run area.

Posted on: 8/22 14:02

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Thanks sandfly. As I'm looking through the different parks, I think that's gonna be the case for most of them. Might have to try to do some State Forest camping or something to get away from everyone.

Posted on: 8/23 7:09

From West Chester
raftman, I'm sure little pine SP will be crowded, but it's a beautiful park with nice facilities. You might want to look into the walk in sites or some of the group campsites are actually pretty far up english run, away from the campground. I'm not sure what qualifies as group camping.

Posted on: 8/23 19:23

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Thanks icy guides!

Posted on: 8/24 8:15

From LV
Staying in Ltl. Pine SP you are surrounded by excellent trout water. anything flowing has trout, many of the small streams are primarily brookies, but most are mixed for the entire length.

Posted on: 8/24 16:36

Asaph campground should not be crowded and is on a wild brookie stream

Posted on: 8/25 8:21

Well we are heading out early this coming Friday morning. We plan on getting to Slate Run around 7:30am. I saw there is a chance of rain on Fri and Sat, which I'm hoping will help w the fishing on both Slate and Cedar. Looking forward to fishing this area for the 1st time!

Posted on: 9/3 14:14

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com