Sinnemahoning Creek

H

HighFly1

Hello gents, new to the forums and new to the hobby of swinging a fly. I have the opportunity to fish Sinnemahoning creek near Sizerville State Park Thanksgiving weekend and am told it holds native brooks and was wondering if anyone could confirm that? Also maybe give me an idea of what to try for a new guy? Not asking for spots as I have three days and a really comfy pair of chest waders to get out and find them myself if they are there.

Any info is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Welcome aboard. GG

Portage Creek and Driftwood Branch both have mixed populations of wild trout, browns and brooks. So to all of the tributaries of those 2 branches of Sinnemahoning Creek. I can't tell you which ones would fish best this time of the year, or at anytime for that matter because I don't get over that way much. But I do fish NC PA further east during the fall and can tell you fall fishing can be very good during the fall.

Thank you sir, gonna go ahead and do as much research as I can beforehand. Looking forward to catching some fish.

Welcome Highfly - we're glad to have yuh.

The Sinnemahoning watershed holds stocked and wild trout. You'll have a great time exploring. The link "Where to Fly Fish" on the upper right side of this page is a good source.

We also have the Beginner's Forum as a place to ask basic questions about fly fishing (FFing).

Most every small trickle of water holds native brook trout in that area. Prospect with a dry fly for a while, and if you don't see any trout try another small stream.

There are no Fall stockings by the state in that area, so I would probably focus on the smaller unstocked streams for wild trout.

Good luck!

Agreed. There is a short section of the First Fork which is fall stocked. Between the dam and Wharton. The upper limit is the mouth of Bailey Run and the lower limit is the mouth of Berge Run, I believe.

But other than that, I'd generally stay away from the bigger, main stems of the First Fork, Driftwood Branch, Portage Creek, etc. They may be ok in the upper ends, but generally speaking if it's stocked the wild trout populations are small, and at this time of year there won't be many stocked fish. So other than that fall stocked portion of the first fork, the stocking list should tell you where NOT to fish.

That said, as was mentioned, smaller waters of the area generally all support solid to good populations of wild fish, and should fish pretty well. Stick to the skinnier water.

If you're staying in Sizerville, Crowley Run has a Class A pop. of browns from the confluence of the E and W branches to the mouth. It's only a mile or so but it's right there.

I have a camp downstream from Sizerville State Park where I used to just go hunting. Gonna take the rod instead of the gun this year though, thanks all again for the advice! Elk hair caddis a suggested dry?

Back