ShenandoaH National Park

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I am planning to fish the North Fork of the Thornton River and/or the Piney River on Saturday from the bottom of the SNP border upstream - any tips on flies, rod lengths etc

I plan to take my 9' #3 and a mixed bag of generic dries and nymphs - what size dries should I take, does it matter ?

any other advice like parking etc is most welcome.

cheers

mark.

Mark,

I haven't fished those specific rivers but I have fished other places in the park. Fly choice shouldn't matter much. Some days they can get keyed in on hatches, but an exact imitation isn't needed, and a generic nymph will catch those fish if they happen to be refusing your dry.

Those streams are fairly open as far as brook trout water goes, so a short rod is not necessary. I use an 8.5' 4 wt for small streams these days. People do use 1-3 wts down there.

It's been a while but the NF Thornton was the first stream I fished in SNP. I don't recall needing much other than sz 14-16 EHC anywhere in the park that I fished.

great. thanks to you both.

I was down there 2 weekends ago. Didn't fish those streams. Hiked in and fished a few large pools on a trib to the Rose River (Forget the name now), and there were 3 of us that evening with 3 different flies and none of us had any problem raising fish.

Then rain came in, the temps dropped about 20 degrees the next day, and while ffing the Rapidan, all we caught were warpaint shiners (and 3 brookies) haha!

I fished the NF of the Thornton from the Park line up - Harry Murray was right, very limited parking. conditions were not ideal - bright sun, low water and no deciduous canopy on the trees.

This was a typical mountain stream, a lot of pools, downed wood and small falls. I had one nice fish take and miss an EHC in the shade of a big rock, but that was it apart from redbands and chubs rushing the fly. I also tried a patriot dry, adams irresistible, mink and caddis nymphs...I did see a small brookie or two (4-5") under ledges deep in some pools, which is where I guess the larger ones were too.

I quit after 2 hours and walked the trail back down. with no cell signal and I'd forgotten the map, I struggled to find the Piney 'river' as shown on the SNP map - its local name is Piney Run and it was very small and very low.

So I headed down 231 to the Hughes river - slightly wider than the Thornton, but again pretty lower and no canopy. I stopped and took a few casts around the rock shelves but saw and hooked only a redband. I drove further up to the trail head but the lot was full and walkers were everywhere as it was saturday. so I decided to go look at the Hazel.

I found my way to the Park gate at Hungry Horse lane and had a few casts there and got another chub, but I'd run out of time with all the driving around. it looked pretty nice up there and I would hike up it I think.

In hindsight, I should have fished from Skyline drive down - under the coniferous canopy, and where there may have been more water - all three streams - the Thornton, Hughes and Hazel had less water lower down, due to residential wells perhaps ? or perhaps fish the Rose or the Rapidan.

Andy - Hogcamp branch perhaps ?

cheers

Mark.

I had a very similar experience, I fished a stream the same way this summer and realized that, the best fishing is typically closer to the headwaters from what I can tell. Even the rapidan from the bottom wasn't anything great, and was low. I caught a dozen fish or so on hogcamp branch as high up as the hiking trail, it's pretty small though. pretty stream, has a nice fall that I caught fish out of with tourists all around. I bet it keeps getting better further down. Hiking a ways down in on the rapidan would be rewarding I'm sure. I plan to do it eventually.

Thanks B&H, that's good to know - as I said the Rapidan was on my list to hit next. it does look though as if you have to pay $20 to park on Skyline drive though ?

apparently, the lots are free this week, which is why Old Rag was so busy....

I'll be back down there either memorial day weekend or week after July 4th, I shall hope for cloud and rain.

cheers

Mark.

Geebee:

Sorry you did not do as well as you would of liked. I fished a tributary to the Rapidan on Sunday morning and had consistent action on an x -caddis. As has been said, the better fishing occurs when hiking in from Skyline Drive or hiking upstream a bit from the lower boundary parking lots.

As for your next visit, I recommend Memorial Day over July 4. While the park will be crowded, water levels should be better in May than July.

My original plan on Sunday was to hike in to Big Run (mile marker 80), but i got off to a late start and scrapped that plan. With a 2000 acre fire currently burning in the vicinity of Big Run looks like I may have to wait until next spring to fish it.

Feel free to PM for some suggested access points. While they are not secret spots, I would prefer to suggest them privately.

T

Thanks Tioga - these visits are based on my wife's trips to her Mom's so I fish as and when I am told.

I did hike up a fair way on the Thornton's NF - but there was very little cover. here are some snaps. some nice potential pools :

tn_gallery_1690_205_43867.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_110283.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_44652.jpg

as you can see in pics 2 & 3, quite a few midstream, stones showing - water levels oN USGS seem to be 50-60% of average. up top would have been better I think. next time.

yes I heard about the fire - and the white oak canyon area is closed while they search for a body/missing person. very sad.

Back