Shearers creek

P

Phil94

I was looking to try out shearers creek in Lancaster/Lebanon county this fall but could not seem to find any public access points. Could anyone point out to me where this stream could be accessed?

Just ask permission from a landowner or two.

Lower portion down by the turnpike is posted, but probably no problems getting permission to access it. If you want a long walk, you can access the stream by parking at one of the SGL 156 parking lots and walking down the Horseshoe Trail, then taking the old railroad bed down close to the turnpike. The Game Commission will open some of the gated roads during hunting season which will can put you a bit closer.

It’s an interesting one access wise, as the stream itself upstream of the Turnpike isn’t on posted property (some of it is even on SGL). But to get to it the easiest and most logical way (from the west along Rt. 72) you have to cross posted property no matter how you slice it to get to it. Below the Turnpike the stream itself is on posted property.

As salmonoid mentions, the legal way (without asking permission from a landowner along Rt. 72 to cross their posted property) involves a lengthy walk from the SGL lots to the east. Figure a mile(ish) if the gates in the SGL are open...usually only during Fall hunting seasons. More like 3 miles from the end lot furthest to the east if the gates are closed.

Thanks for the advice I will probably end up asking permission to cross someone's property along 72 rather than take the hike

Also, don't bother it right now. Water levels are still low and temps are borderline. Just leave the trout alone until we get a lot more rain and daytime/overnight temps begin dropping again.

Nevermind I see you said you were looking to fish it in the Fall. Carry on, sir!

Back