Scott's Run Lake Outlet

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Took a walk down the outlet of Scott's Run in French Creek Park. Lots of nice deep hopes along most of it's length. I know there's a few bass, sunnies, shiners, pickerel, and stockies in the big pool where the outlet streams run together. What's the possibility of fish being further down the creek, and if there is, what flies would be a good start to use? I do recall the approved trout waters reg. saying things about "all stocked lakes and waters downstream".

I took my grandson there to fish about 4 years ago when he was 5. He caught some stockies and a few sunnies in the big pool below the dam. Also, to my surprise, he caught what sure looked like a wild brookie. We didn't venture further downstream at all.

I have heard of "wild" trout in the lower stretches of the creek before it reaches Hopewell. Are there any other streams that run into that one that support trout?

Go to PA Fish and Game website and do some investigating wildbrowntrout, the info is out there

Attachments

• bugtp5.gif
    bugtp5.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 6
I frequent the lakes in my kayak, but have always fantasized about fishing the length of the creek between the lakes.
As a scout leader years ago we would hike the kids along it, and I recall seeing fish spook away from us (imagine that).
I don't recall other streams entering, but its been quite awhile since I took that walk.
I would use ant patterns on top, wooly buggers and other smallish streamers under.

No other trout sources are between Hopewell and Scott's Run Lakes. I encountered a stocker a few hundred yards below the big pool below the dam when I was a teen, and thought I was Da Bomb of an angler when I sight fished and caught a boa right below the spillway in my early teens. I do not recall seeing other trout in the stream section below the dam but habitat could surely support them. Probably should fish it again sometime, since I know a wee bit more about wild trout now. I explored upstream from the lake too but it's pretty skinny water. But I was fishing with a stocker mindset, in the summer, and it would not surprise me that a few browns might run up in the fall.

I'm thinking about out tomorrow to try it. I got my rod rigged up with a mini woolly bugger that I've caught trout, sunnies, and bass on. If I end up going I'll post how did.

Headed over to Scott's Run today with 2 flies, hares ear/san Juan and a 4wt rod. Fished about half the length of the creek and didn't catch anything. Saw another fly fisherman going down on my way out. Is it any of you guys?

Back