Schuykill wading access

Paulson

Paulson

Any good places to access the Schuykill? Open to anywhere there might be smallies hiding. I dont have a kayak yet.

The Schuylkill has a lot of access for wading. Check google maps. Union Township launch, Exeter river trail, Trout Run park, Neversink trail, Cross Keys, Kernsville Dam, Port Clinton AT access, river trail near Auburn to name a few. I’ve fished them all and more. There’s fish out there but it’s not comparable to fishing the Susquehanna. I live 25 minutes from the Schuylkill but make the 70 minute drive to fish the Susquehanna where I generally have success in finding better quality and quantities of smallmouth.

Good luck and I hope you have better success than I’ve had over the years.

Berks wrote:
The Schuylkill has a lot of access for wading. Check google maps. Union Township launch, Exeter river trail, Trout Run park, Neversink trail, Cross Keys, Kernsville Dam, Port Clinton AT access, river trail near Auburn to name a few. I’ve fished them all and more. There’s fish out there but it’s not comparable to fishing the Susquehanna. I live 25 minutes from the Schuylkill but make the 70 minute drive to fish the Susquehanna where I generally have success in finding better quality and quantities of smallmouth.

Good luck and I hope you have better success than I’ve had over the years.

Agreed ^

The Schuylkill is not really a great smallie river. The upper Skuke has better fishing than the lower, by far, but I too opt to drive an hour or so to fish the Susky rather than driving the same distance to fish the Skuke.

Here are maps of the River with access points for fishing >https://schuylkillriver.org/schuylkill-river-watertrail/

Good luck.

The flatheads destroyed the smallie fishing on the skuke years ago. A few more years the susky will be there too

The Schuylkill R SMB population was starting to decline due to sedimentation/desert-like habitat uniformity as early as 1985, long before flatheads came on the scene.

Cool thanks for the intel!

I grew up within about a 35 min walk from a good SMB fishing segment of the Schuylkill. It really didn’t get good until I was out of college, however. I waded/fished that stretch frequently. As good as it was for a local water, if I really wanted a quality SMB experience, I occasionally went to a good wading segment of the lower Susquehanna.

I'm much closer to the middle Delaware anyway - New Hope, WC, and Trenton. I can drive up further too if I want. Probably the better bet anyway. First time fishing bigger water so it's a whole new chapter for me. Wading in faster current is a new challenge. Hopefully this storm stays East and doesn't blow it out.

Paulson. You are much closer to the Susquehanna River at Holtwood. Good parking and pretty easy wading when the water is low.

Back