Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Salmon River Tribs

SR is now at 2,300. For a point of reference, when I fished the SR, my preferred range was 1,500cfs-2,000cfs. After a while, 3,000CFS was my cutoff where I didn't fish.

I wouldn't hesitate to fish the fly zones at 2,300cfs. It's a little intimidating at first but once you get over that you should get into fish and crowds will be much less than at 500cfs. No rain in the forecast, I'd expect brookfield to cut the dam release down over the next couple of days. They have the release at 1,650cfs now according to the brookfield website. 1,650 is extremely fishable.
The small tribs will have plenty of fish but small streams really aren't my thing for steelhead.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?04250200

http://www.h2oline.com/default.aspx?pg=si&op=365123

Posted on: 11/7 7:04

From SE PA - Montgomery County
1500-2000 cfs is a very high preferred range. I prefer 750-1000 cfs for a nice moderate flow that is perfect for swinging flies for steelhead.

I have fished the UFZ at near 2000 cfs and it is fishable, Just don't think about wading much. Fish the pocket water and edges.

Posted on: 11/7 7:52

Part of the reason for the 1,500+ range is that fishing pressure seems to drop significantly when its above 1,500. The SR is a pretty predictable place and there are tons of fish. It doesn't take very long to crack it. Similar conditions will yield similar results. The fish don't leave the river when the water gets high, they just move to slightly different areas.

Posted on: 11/7 8:01

From Erie Co.
FYI:
Weather will be the factor later this week a a cold front crosses the lakes. Snow is in the forecast and it could be heavy.
Just saying.

Posted on: 11/7 17:47

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Perfect steelhead weather!

Posted on: 11/8 12:02

From Bethlehem, PA
We ended up doing a lot of exploring this trip. The SR was really way too high to be safely fishable, IMHO, so we spent time on Trout Brook and North and South Sandy Creeks. Still some salmon in Trout Brook but we did not have a lot of time to fish there and encountered no browns. I caught a very nice steelhead in the South Sandy downstream from the bridge in Ellisburg and turned another bigger one. We spent part of a day on the North Sandy. Lots of steelhead there and a few kings that were fresh but we had little success. The center pin guys were killing the steel. We were quite surprised at the size of both Sandy creeks. I was expecting streams about the size of the Saucon Creek but both had lots of water.

We will be back to all of these streams in the future and at least now have a decent idea of the alternatives when the SR is either blown out or elbow to elbow. So, thanks agin, everyne, for your advice.

Posted on: 11/10 8:57

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com