HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Salmon River 2018

From Poconos
Quote:

kobalt335 wrote:
Standard egg patterns and egg sucking leeches always work for salmon for me. As they get more pressured and steelhead show up, I'll throw basic stones or more natural nymphs.

Are you fishing the DSR with these patterns? For salmon, I've always just tied some estaz to a hook and flossed but I've never fished fresh salmon in the DSR either.

Posted on: 9/6 12:18

From Mill Hall
Quote:

Millsertime wrote:
Quote:

kobalt335 wrote:
Standard egg patterns and egg sucking leeches always work for salmon for me. As they get more pressured and steelhead show up, I'll throw basic stones or more natural nymphs.

Are you fishing the DSR with these patterns? For salmon, I've always just tied some estaz to a hook and flossed but I've never fished fresh salmon in the DSR either.

I normally fish the upper river later in the run, so these fish see it all. You can use anything really, because it all works. I just tend to have more fair hooked fish using these flies.

Posted on: 9/6 13:32

From Lehigh Gorge
Agree with all the above. My personal preference is for brighter color estaz or glo bugs for fresh fish in DSR. Seems these fish will respond positively be it anger, territory, feeding, instinct, curiosity or something else. Legal hookups are common.

As the fish move up river they see these color baits by the thousands and perhaps encounter a few unpleasant experiences with them. I also believe they are aware of the many fisherman and associate the colors with fisherman and behave negatively. I have seen fish spook upon seeing brightly colored flies many times.

Up river I have found darker colored flies to be more effective. Black, Brown, Dk Olive, Blue, Purple estaz eggs tend to work better.....for me at least. While they may not eat every one, they are at least less apt to spook provided you get a good drift.

Posted on: 9/7 9:55

From SE PA
I am headed up there October 13th-16th. Is that pushing it too late to get into salmon? We figured we might get into some brown trout or early steelhead. Last year I went the first week of October and we did pretty well for our first trip up.

Posted on: 9/12 14:57

There will still be plenty of salmon around and steelies will be there. Never hit too many browns on the SR, but you may catch a few at that time. Good luck.

Posted on: 9/12 20:59

From New york
I was up there Saturday and Sunday. Didn’t see a fish Saturday and Sunday had a few come into the dsr but no hookups. Saw one hookup on Sunday...sure did look like fun. Appparently they started showing up in numbers on Monday and the fishing has been great since. Ugh. Timing is everything. For those that have never been, be prepared...even though it’s private water there’s a good chance that you will not have a lot of water to yourself. In the prime spots you may have 10 to 20 yards to yourself and everyone stands their ground. I’m sure it’s better than the public water but it’s far from a private experience. That being said, I can’t wait to go back. It’s a beautiful property that’s very efficiently run with very nice nice people working there. And their lodges are very clean and nicely appointed. The other anglers you meet are super friendly as well.

Posted on: 9/12 21:56

From SE PA
Quote:

Biggie wrote:
There will still be plenty of salmon around and steelies will be there. Never hit too many browns on the SR, but you may catch a few at that time. Good luck.

Thank you! Yeah my buddies and I went last year for a few days and caught all chinooks and one coho. That’s good to hear, I wasn’t sure how long the salmon typically stick around.

For those who have gone up to SR before what size flies do you typically use for egg patterns, etc? Last year I used size 6 wooly buggers and size 8 or 10 eggs or estaz eggs. Looking to stock up after last year

Posted on: 9/12 22:18

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Those sizes are good, just make sure they are 2x heavy hooks.

Posted on: 9/13 8:23

From SE PA
Quote:

CLSports wrote:
Those sizes are good, just make sure they are 2x heavy hooks.

I was looking at using Mustad CO68’s for the eggs I was going to tie. I wasn’t sure if I should go with a more typical egg hook or a straight shank like Mustad S70

Posted on: 9/13 9:56

From Dauphin County
Both hooks are good choices. Tie up a bunch as you will go through a bunch. I did well last year with Saber 7323 hooks in size 8. No failures and lots of fish landed. I tied 10s 8s and 6s this year. Can’t wait to try em out!

Posted on: 9/13 20:34

Unless your are fishing the FF Zones, don't overlook using trout beads. Some FF are against using them (not a fly) and I see their point. I don't tie, so trout beads are very inexpensive and work great. I also use a bead in combo with a stonefly or a different color estaz fly. You can't use two hooks in NY, but with the bead pegged above the fly, you still give the fish two choices. And I get very few foul hooked fish outside of the mouth.

Posted on: 9/14 20:47

Huge numbers are reported in the DSR today,Kings/Cohos.I'm heading up there Sat. for 6 days ,can't wait!

Posted on: 9/19 17:42

From SE PA
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Huge numbers are reported in the DSR today,Kings/Cohos.I'm heading up there Sat. for 6 days ,can't wait!

I saw that! Good luck, post some pictures!

Posted on: 9/19 23:49

From Erie Co.
Sept. 22, 2018 Fish for free day in NY.

Posted on: 9/20 17:03

So the Douglaston pricing drops in Nov because the salmon have stopped running and it's only browns and steelies? I'm planning a trip and found it strange the cost changes significantly beginning of Nov.

Posted on: 9/24 15:29

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes 68% (64)
No 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/7/20 10:51
5 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com