Question on the Yellow Breeches

P

PAFLYBOY

Hello all, my son and I are going to be in the area for a hockey tournament this weekend and we were looking to do some fishing. It has been many years since I fished that area and I'm not sure of the changes to the streams over the last 15 years. My question is, is the depth/flow(as well as the potential crowds) on the YB from the confluence with the "run" down to a llittle way below the Allenberry dam sufficient to swing streamers and soft hackle wets on a light two-hander? I recently had shoulder surgery and swinging flies on the two-hander is my preferred method to fish right now(easier on the shoulder, minimal mending and high sticking).

Also, my son has decent abilities with his single hand rod. Any other suggestions as to where I might take him to get in to some fish? I was thinking Big Spring? We plan to fish later Friday and some on Saturday. Thanks in advance, Tight Lines all.

PAFLYBOY wrote:
My question is, is the depth/flow(as well as the potential crowds) on the YB from the confluence with the "run" down to a llittle way below the Allenberry dam sufficient to swing streamers and soft hackle wets on a light two-hander?

Yep, you'll do fine. YB is decent water for swinging wets and streamers and I have used a switch rod there and it works well (trees are generally high above the water). The reg section of YB is likely to be crowded on weekends. If you like swinging wets and using a two hand rod, I'd avoid Big Spring or the other CV limestoners as they are not well suited to your methods IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I only plan to swing on the YB. If I fish Big Spring I'll probably nymph with a trout rod, assuming my shoulder can handle the mending, etc. I may just let my son fish while I watch. That's what my non fishing parents did for me when I was fishing these same streams while growing up in Northern Virginia. Time to pay it forward, I guess...

You can almost bet that YB will be crowded. And only because both spin and fly fisherman are welcome. There is literally tons of fish in there for everyone though.

Looking at the weather forecast, crowds will probably not be an issue this wknd, mid-40's and rain Friday night thru Saturday...

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to just being in the area again(and showing my son around). It's been too long since I've fished there...

Back