Question about Elk Creek

azjackstraw

azjackstraw

Has any one here had issues with land owners, on Elk Creek in Sterrettania? Like a really crazy land owner with big dogs?

You must be talking about the doberman hole just down to the first bend from sterretania bridge. Stay on west side of the bank (opposite side of his yard) and you will be fine. He does have his land posted and his dogs will come after you. Just down stream from his yard you can get back the east bank of the creek.

I'd report the guy if his dogs are attacking, or belligerent, State laws require all dogs to be under the control of the owner. Usually meaning they have to be on a leash.

Nothing to report his dogs stay in his yard.
You better stay the he!! out of his yard.

Signs are posted No Trespassing and Beware of Dog.

Made the mistake the first trip down through myself. The dogs were not out at the time...

This guy sics dogs on people?

Cool....sounds like the proper response.

bingsbaits wrote:
Nothing to report his dogs stay in his yard.
You better stay the he!! out of his yard.

Signs are posted No Trespassing and Beware of Dog.

You make it sound so simple Bings....I wonder why so many folks struggle with this simple thing? Hmmmmm.......

Seems irresponsible to risk injury to a stranger who might not realize or appreciate that he/she ought to know whether they are trespassing. Unless things have chaged, he does not post unequivocally. He probably enjoys the ambuigity. His dogs are pussey[cat]s.

OH really? Here I'm thinking, "this guy clearly has his land marked...you reap what you sow!" but, sounds a little less clear than that.

In Erie, you have to be very explicit. There is a bit of an expectation that if you stay close to the stream, you are good everywhere. Not the case, but still a common view.

I have watched this guy send his dogs after people! One guy got bit Monday morning, just a coat sleeve, but still.
I have witnessed this guy come out screaming at anyone on the south side of the stream! I have heard him claim to own the stream in front of his property, which I have always thought was impossible in the state. As well, the guy has gone as far as falling a tree from his property into the stream, in a failed attempt to block that side of the bank, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. There is a major difference between fishing on private property, and near private property.

???
Never had a problem as the signs are impossible to miss. Being it was not my land, I did what they said and the dogs actually came down to the creek after patrolling their side of the stream and sat and watched us fish and didnt make a peep.
He owns the land all the way to the road, including the streambed and the strip of land between the stream and the road. Just honor the signs before they say no trespassing and maybe thank him for keeping it open. I did.

My story is as follows: On Sunday night, December 9th my buddy and myself were walking upstream after dusk up that side of the stream through the water. We knew full well about his property and dogs so we stayed about shin deep in the stream to play it safe. We were not looking around and had our headlamps pointed down into the water to see what we were stepping on. Next thing we know his doberman is within five feet of us and is in full meltdown. The thing completely snuck up on us and scared us sh*tless.... What made it worse is we had our red lights on to cut down glare on the water and looking at the beast all I could see was the red of its eyes. My buddy started yelling and swinging his rod which kept the dog at a distance.

We fled through the water across the stream and up that high bank over the guard rail and got the heck out of there. All the while the guy is standing on his porch not saying a word. We were to shook up to say something at the time to the guy. This guy has no respect for anyone's safety or well being. He is likely to get someone killed or serious injured. The signs don't mean anything. I have a gift certificate to Bass Pro and I think that some pepper spray is on the list before I venture near this area again.

I hope you guys who are all up in arms realize this is the reason why so much property gets posted all around this state, particularly in Erie. The guy owns both sides of the stream, it is non-navigable, so he can post it. He posts it to stay off one side of the stream, but yet people ignore it and get mad when his dogs, which are on his property, came down to the stream.

We have the same situation locally, and luckily we were able to convince the property owner to open the stream back up to fishing even though it was posted due to angler behavior.

skeeter wrote:
My story is as follows: On Sunday night, December 9th my buddy and myself were walking upstream after dusk up that side of the stream through the water. We knew full well about his property and dogs so we stayed about shin deep in the stream to play it safe. We were not looking around and had our headlamps pointed down into the water to see what we were stepping on. Next thing we know his doberman is within five feet of us and is in full meltdown. The thing completely snuck up on us and scared us sh*tless.... What made it worse is we had our red lights on to cut down glare on the water and looking at the beast all I could see was the red of its eyes. My buddy started yelling and swinging his rod which kept the dog at a distance.

We fled through the water across the stream and up that high bank over the guard rail and got the heck out of there. All the while the guy is standing on his porch not saying a word. We were to shook up to say something at the time to the guy. This guy has no respect for anyone's safety or well being. He is likely to get someone killed or serious injured. The signs don't mean anything. I have a gift certificate to Bass Pro and I think that some pepper spray is on the list before I venture near this area again.

This post is just unreal. So you break the law and trespass on the guys property. To add to that now you are gonna pepper spray his dog who is doing absolutely nothing wrong. It's people like you who gets land posted and ruin it for the rest of us. Your whole mentality is absolutely horrible. Please do the fishing community a favor and take up golf.

Skeeter,

With all due respect, fishing on posted property or even just cutting through his property at night time with a headlamp is just a bad idea in my opinion. It is his property and maybe he just lets his dogs out to use the bathroom or whatnot and you just happened to startle his dogs and that is why they were so aggressive towards you. I would strongly advise against buying mace and spraying this guys dogs because it will only make access even more difficult and I don't think we should treat dogs like that, period. Try keeping a bag of dog biscuits or something next time, anything but mace dude.

Keep this in mind; some folks I know post their property BECAUSE their dogs will attack or act aggressively. I know someone who posts their property simply because their dog goes crazy barking when it sees people... they have children that are between the ages of 2 months old and 3 years old who nap frequently during the day and need to sleep in the evening by at least 7 PM and don't need to be disturbed by people on their property.

You ever try to watch TV while your dog is going ape nuts and somebody just dilly dallies in your back yard? It would be enough to make me come out and tell the person to scram, especially if my land was posted.

The Holiday Gift Basket campaign (in Erie) was put out there for JUST such a situation. Not sure if the above mentioned land owner is a basket-recipient, but it's some pretty good PR for ff'ers to give a little sumn-sumn to our streamside neighbors.

If, as stated, he OWNS the land on both sides of the stream AND the streambed itself, then you have NO right to be on it or in it. only an idiot would trespass and then complain about being scared by the owners dog. I mean, are you listening to yourself? It's HIS property, he DOESN'T have to let anyone have access.
AND, if you are indeed on HIS property and spray his dogs, don't be surprised if he sprays back with something a little more potent.
of course, you will then come back here and whine about having buckshot in your *** and how your waders now leak.

I don't trespass onto others property. When I see signs like this, I will usually write the land owners information into my journal and look for permission either that day, or a later date. I do think the owner of this land could handle trespassers with a little more class, but everyone has their own methods of dealing with things. I have permission to fish in several places a lot of people can't get to. The way I got that permission is listed above. When I made contact, I made sure I kept a respectful tone, and assured them their land would be the same when I left, if not better, then it was when I got there. This man could be one of the nicest people in the world, yet he's being judged because he doesn't want people on his property. Can I come sit on your front porch? Without you ever saying a word to me?

Back