Potter.

Baron

Baron

I’m stuck. I have to attend a vacation in Potter county.......an area I don’t care for.
Not really a trout fisher but it looks like they’re are plenty of opportunities for them around the camp.

I’d prefer lake fishing or drift boating but there doesn’t seem to be much available. Dwight Creek and Peet’s Brook are nearby. A little further are two other larger streams: Allegheny and Genesee.

I’ll have a 13 yr old trainee with me. What and where should I go?

all of the nearby streams have trout, although water levels are very low some of the medium to large streams are on the warm side. You are not far from Beechwood lake....

don't trout fish the streams are to low and warm. tioga river, and allegheny have bass, musky in them. lyman lake has a good pop. of gills and bass in it too.

It grinds my gears when I have to attend a vacation in Potter Co. too. I think you'll manage though.

Pine Creek has a good SMB population. I wouldn't worry about not fishing it because of the Trout...They're either dead, already in a trib, or glued to the seeps at the mouth of a trib. Just avoid those areas, and the WW fishing should be fine.

There's some lakes around too...Take a look at the maps. Beyond the ones already mentioned there's the reservoirs on Kettle and Sinnemahoning.

sandfly wrote:
don't trout fish the streams are to low and warm. tioga river, and allegheny have bass, musky in them. lyman lake has a good pop. of gills and bass in it too.

Yes, go to Lyman Lake. Take your boat out there. It's very scenic, especially if you are there around dusk, when the sun is setting behind the hills.

And you can see elk there, in the meadows area above where Kettle Creek flows into the lake. And I saw a bear near the lake this spring.

And it's worth driving up to the viewpoint over the lake. I've fished Kettle Creek and tribs since the early 1970s, but never got up to the viewpoint until about 1999. When I first went up there, I was amazed. It's one of the best viewpoints I've seen in PA.

I agree Lyman Lake is very nice. I've hiked there many times. I have only fished it from shore. The shore between the dame and the swimming area has nice sized 'gills. You can also explore on foot from the boat launch along the right side. Your boat should be an asset there.

Another vote for Lyman Lake and it is the closest to where you'll be.

I've fished it a bunch from the bank along along Lyman Run Road and once in a float tube. It is tough fishing it from the opposite bank or in the backwaters. Fishing from the dam is OK but not a comfortable spot to fish from.

There are lots of LMB, not particularity huge fish but getting bigger since the draw down of a few years back. There are plenty of panfish and there MAY still some trout cruising around because it does get stocked in the spring and of course its source is all wild trout streams.

Under normal conditions there are boat rentals on the lake so you have the yahoo factor with non-angling boaters all over the place but limited access & yahoos aside, it is a nice place to fish.

Be advised, the Lyman Run State Park parking lots are limited to 75% capacity due to Covid. If you decide to fish from the bank, just park along Lyman Run Road and walk the 20 feet down to the lake.

If you launch and the lots are full (doubtful), you can also park along Lyman Run Road, but it is a much longer walk back to the launch.

FWIW - There isn't whole lot of backcast room along Lyman Road Road so you would be sort of side-arming parallel to the water's edge. Closer to parking area there is a floating fishing pier and more room.

If you feel like driving, there is also Hamilton Lake & Beechwood Lake not too far away in Tioga County.

Knowing how easy it is to waste time up there driving around looking for spots, if I was considering Lyman, Beechwood or Hamilton, I'd call the local WCO and make sure there aren't issues to be aware of.

Allright you FF dudes. I'll suggest Lyman Run to all the underlings. It is forty seven minutes south of the Cabin but then whom is counting?
I'm staying near Gold and It doesn't offer much in the way of lakes close to there. Last time I was by it the lake in Coudersport was drained. Anyone know if it is back to normal.
I may try the Allegheny.
I've "BEEN TOLD I WILL GO TO THE KINZUA BRIDGE". Just to ensure that they'll not ask again I'll wearing brown dress shoes or penny loafers w/black knee-high dress socks, clip on sunglasses, plaid Bermuda shorts, Hawaiian shirt with a Tru-Value protector, camera around neck and a contrasting fanny pack.
It looks like Sinemahoning and Kettle Creeks would make excellent stand-alone vacations when temps are better in the fall.

I hope you are okay with heights if you go to Kinzua Bridge. Not for the faint of heart, especially standing on the plexiglass deck looking straight down 300 feet.

Rose Lake?

troutbert wrote:
sandfly wrote:

Yes, go to Lyman Lake. Take your boat out there. It's very scenic, especially if you are there around dusk, when the sun is setting behind the hills.

And you can see elk there, in the meadows area above where Kettle Creek flows into the lake. And I saw a bear near the lake this spring.

And it's worth driving up to the viewpoint over the lake. I've fished Kettle Creek and tribs since the early 1970s, but never got up to the viewpoint until about 1999. When I first went up there, I was amazed. It's one of the best viewpoints I've seen in PA.

I'm a little confused. Kettle Creek doesn't flow into or out of Lyman Lake. Lyman Run flows into Pine Creek. Kettle Creek State Park has a vista that overlooks Kettle Creek Lake, formed by the Alvin Bush dam. Which park are you referring to?

salmonoid wrote:
troutbert wrote:
sandfly wrote:

I'm a little confused. Kettle Creek doesn't flow into or out of Lyman Lake. Lyman Run flows into Pine Creek. Kettle Creek State Park has a vista that overlooks Kettle Creek Lake, formed by the Alvin Bush dam. Which park are you referring to?

You're right. I messed up.

I was thinking of the lake on Kettle Creek.

Both lakes are very nice.

Baron wrote:

I've "BEEN TOLD I WILL GO TO THE KINZUA BRIDGE".

I went to Kinzua Bridge when the whole bridge was still there. That was pretty amazing to walk out there, with the bridge swaying in the wind, and walking on some sketchy looking old boards.

I thought it seemed pretty shaky, but they were still running excursion trains across it.

Baron, I think you could be at Allegheny reservoir in 1.5 hours. Potter county is a special place, fishing or not IMHO.

Depending where you are coming from in Potter County, it's true you could be on the Allegheny Reservoir in 90 minutes, give or take. But it is a big, deep, weird lake and not easy to figure out or do well on. Your best bet for a leisurely outing without putting yourself through a knothole in terms of travel times is probably Lyman Lake or maybe Stevenson Dam on the First Fork which you could make from Coudersport in an hour or so.

troutbert wrote:
Baron wrote:

I've "BEEN TOLD I WILL GO TO THE KINZUA BRIDGE".

I went to Kinzua Bridge when the whole bridge was still there. That was pretty amazing to walk out there, with the bridge swaying in the wind, and walking on some sketchy looking old boards.

I thought it seemed pretty shaky, but they were still running excursion trains across it.

I Just missed seeing it intact....

Bamboozle wrote:
Another vote for Lyman Lake and it is the closest to where you'll be.

I've fished it a bunch from the bank along along Lyman Run Road and once in a float tube. It is tough fishing it from the opposite bank or in the backwaters. Fishing from the dam is OK but not a comfortable spot to fish from.

There are lots of LMB, not particularity huge fish but getting bigger since the draw down of a few years back. There are plenty of panfish and there MAY still some trout cruising around because it does get stocked in the spring and of course its source is all wild trout streams.

Under normal conditions there are boat rentals on the lake so you have the yahoo factor with non-angling boaters all over the place but limited access & yahoos aside, it is a nice place to fish.

Be advised, the Lyman Run State Park parking lots are limited to 75% capacity due to Covid. If you decide to fish from the bank, just park along Lyman Run Road and walk the 20 feet down to the lake.

If you launch and the lots are full (doubtful), you can also park along Lyman Run Road, but it is a much longer walk back to the launch.

FWIW - There isn't whole lot of backcast room along Lyman Road Road so you would be sort of side-arming parallel to the water's edge. Closer to parking area there is a floating fishing pier and more room.

If you feel like driving, there is also Hamilton Lake & Beechwood Lake not too far away in Tioga County.

Knowing how easy it is to waste time up there driving around looking for spots, if I was considering Lyman, Beechwood or Hamilton, I'd call the local WCO and make sure there aren't issues to be aware of.

Excellent info. Will do. It is over the weekend of 9/10-12/20 so the conditions should be better.

salvelinus wrote:
I hope you are okay with heights if you go to Kinzua Bridge. Not for the faint of heart, especially standing on the plexiglass deck looking straight down 300 feet.

Just like Queeche Gorge.:-D

East Branch Clarion River will still be cold. And one option for trout fishing now
It's also closer to Potter County than Kinzua

Back