Pohopoco creek

D

Dcap240

Just had an awesome evening on the pohopoco below beltsville. There was a good hatch of BWO's and a lot of little yellow stoneflies. Caught a trifecta of trout 4 rainbows, a brookie and a brown all on flies I tied. 2 rainbows on an olive CDC emerger and the rest on a spinner olive pattern. That creek is definetly doing well this year. Talked to a guy who lives right up the road and he says its been fishing good all summer. ( don't know how credible he is because he was calling the little yellow stones, sulphurs. But anyway trout were rising all over and the water was cold. Good to see in mid August.

If you like the PO tailwater, try its headwater. It's smaller but more intimate all while still holding wild browns that measure in the high teens.

Be careful,alot of the water upstream of the lake is private and posted. Ask permission if you can locate the landowner.

The report of good fishing all summer is accurate. I too live just up the road although sadly I haven't had time to personally take part as I've been busy training my young hunting dog. I actually run him a lot in the fields above the creek near the dam and afterwards cool him off in cold waters of the Po tailwater. He loves that cold creek after running hard on a hot summer day.

Back